Cursor Doesn't insert first record and the last record twice

• Hi all

I have a cursor that select data from one table and then insert it into two tables: a master table and a child.

All records are inserted to the two tables fine. However, the first record is skipped and the last record is added twice. Not sure why.

I tried to add the first record separate and it works fine. I also delete the first record from the source table, but then skips the second record.

So I know is nothing wrong with the data.

Any idea? Thanks in advance

Here is the code for the cursor:

declare @ModelNumber varchar(50),

@VendorID int,

@AccountNumber varchar(50),

@NewAccountNumber varchar(50),

@LocationCity varchar(50),

@LocationState varchar(50),

@POCUserName varchar(50),

@AssigneeUserName varchar(50),

@ProgramCode varchar(50),

@ProgramName varchar(50),

@Comments varchar(200),

@ActivationDate datetime,

@PIN varchar(50),

@SimChipNumber varchar(50),

@CellPhone varchar(50),

@TetheredDate datetime

declare c4 cursor for

select MODEL,VendorID,[ACCOUNT NUMBER],[NEW ACCOUNT],LOCATION,STATE,POCUserName,UserName,[PROGRAM CODE],

PROGRAM,COMMENTS,[ACTIVATION DATE],PIN,[SIM CHIP NUMBER],[CELL PHONE],

[TETHERED DATA]

from [BLACKBERRY]

open c4

fetch next from c4

into @ModelNumber,@VendorID,@AccountNumber,@NewAccountNumber,@LocationCity,@LocationState,@POCUserName,@AssigneeUserName,

@ProgramCode,@ProgramName,@Comments,@ActivationDate,@PIN,@SimChipNumber,@CellPhone,@TetheredDate

while @@fetch_status = 0

begin

fetch next from c4

into @ModelNumber,@VendorID,@AccountNumber,@NewAccountNumber,@LocationCity,@LocationState,@POCUserName,@AssigneeUserName,

@ProgramCode,@ProgramName,@Comments,@ActivationDate,@PIN,@SimChipNumber,@CellPhone,@TetheredDate

insert into tblAsset(AssetTypeID,ModelNumber,VendorID,AccountNumber,NewAccountNumber,LocationCity,LocationState,POCUserName,

AssigneeUserName,ProgramCode,ProgramName,Comments,ActivationDate)

values(6,@ModelNumber,@VendorID,@AccountNumber,@NewAccountNumber,@LocationCity,@LocationState,@POCUserName,@AssigneeUserName,

@ProgramCode,@ProgramName,@Comments,@ActivationDate)

insert into tblClassBlackberry(AssetID,PIN,SimChipNumber,CellPhone,TetheredDate)

values(SCOPE_IDENTITY(),@PIN,@SimChipNumber,@CellPhone,@TetheredDate)

end

close c4

deallocate c4

• Your sequence of events in your code is wrong. Let's recap:

-you create cursor and variables.

- you fetch data.

- you enter the while loop, and not having done anything with the data you had in step1, you fetch again.

- you then do inserts, and loop.

Solution: move the second FETCH to the last step within the loop.

Of course - the biggest mystery to me is why the cursor at all? Look up the OUTPUT clause, and save yourself a LOT of headaches. With a little more info/some sample data, I don't think it would be all that hard to drop that cursor altogether. There is bound to be more than one natural key in that data - the question is which to use.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Oops...Thank you very much! that did the trick!

Why cursor? cursors seem to do what i need...

Thanks again for the prompt response

• I understand that - it's just terribly inefficient for what you're trying to do. I suspect that the appropriate SET-based solution (using the OUTPUT clause as previously mentioned) would likely do this several hundred times faster, and be less taxing on the system, than the cursor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• natividad.castro (6/5/2008)

Why cursor? cursors seem to do what i need...

Heh.

And, I suppose that walking will get you where you need to go.

However, not as fast or as easily as you may want.

Especially after you've learned how to drive.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply