Creating million row test tables?

• SQL Kiwi (1/16/2012)

Jeff Moden (1/16/2012)

Generating the data with a script that uses NEWID() avoids another problem... backwards compatibility for restores. Here's what happens when someone using SQL Server 2005 tries to restore the Example.bak DB you were kind enough to provide.

Certainly. One would probably state version requirements, or provide a zipped 2005 database file (mdf only) or backup. Both of these could generally be restored or attached to any version of SQL Server 2005-2012. I happened to use 2008 R2, and should have mentioned that.

I think you're much more likely to encourage people to test with large data-sets if they have something they can paste into their own test environment and just execute.

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Cadavre (1/16/2012)

I think you're much more likely to encourage people to test with large data-sets if they have something they can paste into their own test environment and just execute.

So provide both, and give them the choice: an exact copy for repeatable results, or a script they can just run, but might get different data, plans, and results.

• Jeff Moden (1/16/2012)

Generating the data with a script that uses NEWID() avoids another problem... backwards compatibility for restores. Here's what happens when someone using SQL Server 2005 tries to restore the Example.bak DB you were kind enough to provide.

Update: I based my sample on the one you provided, so it contains DATE columns (new in 2008), so there's no way to restore it (or run your script) on 2005.

• Another thing to keep in mind is that I won't download a .zip file from a source I don't know and trust, and you'd be wise to have the same rule. They can contain malicious code far too easily.

A .txt file or .sql file with a script in it is much less potentially hazardous.

A .bak file with a database backup in it is probably okay. So far as I know, even if one had malicious code in it, there'd be no way for it to auto-execute that, and I'd inspect any executable code objects (procs, et al) before running them.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (1/17/2012)

A .bak file with a database backup in it is probably okay. So far as I know, even if one had malicious code in it, there'd be no way for it to auto-execute that, and I'd inspect any executable code objects (procs, et al) before running them.

Yep, someone did exactly that on a forum question earlier today. It made the problem much easier to work on. I'd be happy with a backup or mdf file (as the AdventureWorks distribution uses these days).

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply