Creating a txt file from a procedure

• I've been working on creating a txt file from a proc. I've never done this from within a proc and it looks like there are a few options. SP_OACreate and OSQL. While I've been tooling around with OSQL I'm not sure it has as much functionality as SP_OACreate,SP_OAMethod etc..

I'd like to Check for file existince in a directory,Create a new file if it doesn't exist, If one does exist maybe copy or append to that file.

What would be better? OSQL or SP_OACreate?

I've dug around in BOL and have been reading about both. I have existing procs that use sp_OACreate and sp_OAMethod and I could just copy that but I would like to understand how to use it and what Methods are available. BOL doesn't seem to go that indepth about SP_OAMethod methods or much about OA_Create. Maybe I'm missing something.

Does anyone have any good links that explain this in depth?

I really hate to copy and paste to get the job done without understanding exactly what I'm doing.

TIA!

• Try something like

EXEC master..xp_cmdshell 'ECHO myMessage > C:\myFile.txt'

• Thanks for the reply.

I noticed you could create a txt file that way during my research. Problem is that's a bit to simple for what I'm trying to do. I am gathering data from multiple tables and building a body that is assigned to @Body. Something like:

select @Date from t_TableOrder where order = @OrderID

select @Customer from t_TableCustomer where order = @OrderID

SET @Body = @Date +' '+ @Customer

Only it's way more complex and uses a cursor and a nested cursor. 🙂

So I need to be able to create a file based on the data @Body is set to.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply