CPU vs memory issues

• Can I find a comprehensive document which tells us, how to track down the issues in the application which is caused by CPU or memory.

• Try this

https://www.red-gate.com/library/troubleshooting-sql-server-a-guide-for-accidental-dbas

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Also look up Glenn Berry SQL Server Diagnostic Scripts and pick the one for your version of SQL Server. Numerous queries in there to find the top worst offending queries by various things such as CPU, duration, reads, etc.

I don't know of an easy way to find queries that are having/causing memory issues. Glenn has a query to check for memory grant waits, but it doesn't give you the actual queries. The book Gail recommended may have something in there, but I would think you may have to go to Extended Events to find problematic queries that are requesting too much memory.

Now, a likely worse problem is when things that want to be in memory get spilled down to tempdb. You will want to find some scripts that help you find that. IIRC, SQL 2014 plus a very recent update has the ability to track that for running queries, which is totally awesome.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply