CPU Utilization is 100%

• AFAIK, those can't really be tuned other than changing the cursor type & locations and "batch" size.

However the query itself that fills those datasets is where you can make a big difference.

Again =>

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-1

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-2

If you don't want to go that route call in a profesionnal (3 very competent ones on this thread BTW). 1 guess to figure out what we'll do!

• Lavanyasri (10/26/2011)

exec sp_cursorunprepare 187379994990 --rpc completed

FETCH API_CURSOR00000000000000E1 --sp:stmt completed

sp_cursorclose 180156333 --SQL :stmt completed

exec sp_cursorfetch 180166335,1,0,138 --rpc : completed

You can't directly tune those. You need to find the associated sp_cursoropen, sp_cursorprepare or similar that has a T-SQL statement in it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Lavanyasri (10/26/2011)

HI Kevin,

Thanks for the update .

I think u r right , it might a problem with Cursors. I ran a profiler with rpc completed ,sp:stmt completed ,SQL :stmt completed .

I found the below queries are running continuously .

exec sp_cursorunprepare 187379994990 --rpc completed

FETCH API_CURSOR00000000000000E1 --sp:stmt completed

sp_cursorclose 180156333 --SQL :stmt completed

exec sp_cursorfetch 180166335,1,0,138 --rpc : completed

Basd on this how can i provide suggestion from my side to application team on code changes .

Thanks,

Lavanya

Those can be the result of misconfigured ADO/ADO.NET. IIRC both default to server-side cursors. I had an ISV I did some work for change JUST that configuration and it dropped the waits on the server of their biggest client by 80%! Server-side cursors are just hideously bad.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply