Copying data from Sybase to SQL

• Hi,

We have a 3rd party Sybase database to which we only have select access to approximately 140 Views. We would like to report against the data in these views and would like to do so using SSRS.

What would be the best way to export the data from these views and into an MSSQL database? We would need to do this on a regular basis so i'm guessing SSIS would be the best route to take?

Many Thanks,

Mark

• Shabba (1/24/2012)

Hi,

We have a 3rd party Sybase database to which we only have select access to approximately 140 Views. We would like to report against the data in these views and would like to do so using SSRS.

What would be the best way to export the data from these views and into an MSSQL database? We would need to do this on a regular basis so i'm guessing SSIS would be the best route to take?

Many Thanks,

Mark

SSIS would be a good tool to transfer your data.

You can check out the import/export wizard of SQL Server to quickly generate an SSIS package for you.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thanks Koen for your reply.

I have been 'playing' with SSIS but find it difficult to know which task/s to use for this purpose. I'm rather hoping I don't have to configure 140 odd SSIS tasks just to copy the sybase view data into SQL. The Import/Export wizard for some reason doesn't show me a list of the Sybase views just the tables (which I don't have access to). So can't easily import data unless I script something. For a small number of views this wouldn't be a problem but for a 140 it could take me a little while :-).

Cheers,

Mark

• I don't really know Sybase really well, but I suppose there are some sort of management views where you can get all the views in that database? You can use that to create some dynamic SQL to transfer the data.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply