copy files

• try putting double quotes (") around the troublesome column name.

Regards,

Carlos

• Thanks so much! It worked.  One more thing.  I ran this query against an empty table.  Now that the table has data in it I can't append duplicate primary keys if I want to run this query again with different data.  How can I get around this?

• There are some options, none of them pretty.

1. create a hole for your data.  That would involve updating all the identity numbers for the current data to something higher than the highest number in your old data.  Ugly, I know.  Specially if there are tables which join on the identity column.

2. run a command to change the identity numbers in the old data to something higher than the last entry in the new table. 

set identity_insert table on

update table set identity_column_name = identity_column_name + some_number

set identity_insert table off

At this time, I can't think of any other solution.

Regards,

Carlos

• I'll try this.  Thanks for all your help.  This forum and people like you are a lifesaver!

• I opt to try your second suggestion:

set

identity_insert dbo.query on

update

dbo.query set identity signon = identity_signon + 112126

set

identity_insert dbo.query off

I got this error. 

Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Invalid column name 'identity_signon'.

my column name is "signon"

• there's a space on your SQL for the column "identity signon"  The query should be:

set identity_insert dbo.query on

update dbo.query set identity_signon = identity_signon + 112126

set

assuming that your column name is identity_signon

Regards,

Carlos

• The pk column in question is named "signon"; not "identity_signon" I tried without the word identity and received this error:

Table 'dbo.query' does not have the identity property. Cannot perform SET operation.

• I just read your post more carefully.  With column name "signon" then the proper syntax is:

set identity_insert dbo.query on

update dbo.query set signon = signon + 112126

set

Regards,

Carlos

• Sorry, I steered you wrong on the update of the identity column, it can't be done.  If you send me the list of columns for your table, I'll send you code (using a cursor) to insert the rows.

Regards,

Carlos

• I was thinking I could modify the identity column and change the starting number but when I modify and change it won't save.  Here's a list of my columns in my table.  Thanks

SignonID, BranchID,emplID, Signin_Date, Member_Name, Member_No, Gender, empl_Pickup_Time, empl_Complete_Time, Reason1, Reason2, Reason3,Remarks, "Appointment?", Appointment_emplID

• Ok, before I create the code, please try the following on the table.

update query set signon = signon + 125000 (or change 125000 to any number you prefer)

Let me know the result.

Regards,

Carlos

• I just thought of an easier way.

insert into newtable

(BranchID,emplID, Signin_Date, Member_Name, Member_No, Gender, empl_Pickup_Time, empl_Complete_Time, Reason1, Reason2, Reason3,Remarks, "Appointment?", Appointment_emplID)

select

BranchID,emplID, Signin_Date, Member_Name, Member_No, Gender, empl_Pickup_Time, empl_Complete_Time, Reason1, Reason2, Reason3,Remarks, "Appointment?", Appointment_emplID

from oldtable

This will generate new signonid on the target table.

If this is not clear, and you want to call me:  650 743-5097

Regards,

Carlos

• Thank you! You're a life saver.

• Here's the cursor code in case you need it (you shouldn't)  Change the table names in the code from newtable and oldtable to the real names.

declare @signonid int

declare c cursor for select signonid from newtable

open c

fetch c into @signonid

while @@fetch_status = 0

begin

set identity_insert query on

insert into query (SignonID, BranchID,emplID, Signin_Date, Member_Name, Member_No, Gender, empl_Pickup_Time, empl_Complete_Time, Reason1, Reason2, Reason3,Remarks, "Appointment?", Appointment_emplID)

select signonid + 125000,  BranchID,emplID, Signin_Date, Member_Name, Member_No, Gender, empl_Pickup_Time, empl_Complete_Time, Reason1, Reason2, Reason3,Remarks, "Appointment?", Appointment_emplID

from oldtable where signonid = @signonid

set identity_insert query off

fetch c into @signonid

end

close c

deallocate c

Regards,

Carlos

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply