Converting non-clustered index to clustered index

• Hi Expertz

I have a table that contains the employee details the company.

There is column emp_id which is the primary key.

But there is no "clustered index" for the table. So to improve the performance i need to create a clustered index.

Since there is already a non-clustered index for the primary key constraint on emp_id i need to convert this non-clustered index "PK__Employees__1D4655FB" to a clustered index.

CREATE UNIQUE CLUSTERED

INDEX [PK__Employees__1D4655FB] ON [dbo].[employee_tbl] ([emp_id])

WITH

DROP_EXISTING

ON [PRIMARY]

When i use the above TSQl im getting an error

Server: Msg 1925, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Cannot convert a clustered index to a nonclustered index using the DROP_EXISTING option.

When i tried to drop the non-clustered index "PK__Employees__1D4655FB"

Drop INDEX [dbo].[employee_tbl].[PK__Employees__1D4655FB]

im getting the error

Server: Msg 3723, Level 16, State 4, Line 1

An explicit DROP INDEX is not allowed on index 'dbo.employee_tbl.PK__Employees__1D4655FB'. It is being used for PRIMARY KEY constraint enforcement.

And lot of tables and stored procedures depend on this primary key (emp_id).

Please help..........

Tanx 😀

• When you specify the PK for a table, unless you explicitly ask for a non-clustered PK, it will automatically create a clustered index on the PK.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• What does this return?

select name, type_desc from sys.indexes where name = 'PK__Employees__1D4655FB'

If it does return nonclustered, then to make it a clustered index you'll have to drop the primary key which means dropping all foreign keys that reference the table, recreate the primary key and all of the foreign keys.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/24/2009)

What does this return?

select name, type_desc from sys.indexes where name = 'PK__Employees__1D4655FB'

It returns NONCLUSTERED .

Is there any other way other than dropping the primary key and the foreign keys.

How to get all the foreign keys that references this primary key.

Tanx 😀

• Eswin (6/24/2009)

Is there any other way other than dropping the primary key and the foreign keys.

Not in 2000 I believe.

How to get all the foreign keys that references this primary key.

Query sysforeignkeys.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Eswin (6/23/2009)

Since there is already a non-clustered index for the primary key constraint on emp_id i need to convert this non-clustered index "PK__Employees__1D4655FB" to a clustered index.

CREATE UNIQUE CLUSTERED

INDEX [PK__Employees__1D4655FB] ON [dbo].[employee_tbl] ([emp_id])

WITH

DROP_EXISTING

ON [PRIMARY]

When i use the above TSQl im getting an error

Server: Msg 1925, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Cannot convert a clustered index to a nonclustered index using the DROP_EXISTING option.

Wait a minute... either you're not telling the whole story or something else is wrong. The quote above is from your first post and it indicates that the index is already clustered.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Hi jeff,

The story is i have non-clustered PK .

I want to make this non-clustered PK to clustered PK in sql server 2000 because it will improve performance i guess.

When i edit the non-clustered PK and check it as clustered i get this

error.

TSQl i gave is what it generates for the execution.

any suggestions.........

Tanx 😀

• Eswin (6/24/2009)

Hi jeff,

The story is i have non-clustered PK .

I want to make this non-clustered PK to clustered PK in sql server 2000 because it will improve performance i guess.

When i edit the non-clustered PK and check it as clustered i get this

error.

TSQl i gave is what it generates for the execution.

any suggestions.........

I guess I'd just try dropping the index without the DROP_Existing. The PK constraint should preserve the DRI on the FK's.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Dropping an index that's used for enforcing of a pk constraint isn't allowed. To drop the index that's enforcing a pk, the pk itself must be dropped/

CREATE TABLE Test1 (

id int identity,

Somestr varchar(10)

)

ALTER TABLE Test1 ADD COnstraint pk_Test PRIMARY KEY (ID)

GO

Drop index Test1.pk_Test

Msg 3723, Level 16, State 4, Line 1

An explicit DROP INDEX is not allowed on index 'Test1.pk_Test'. It is being used for PRIMARY KEY constraint enforcement.

Gail Shaw

• I have this same problem in SQL 2005.

Our vendor (who shall remain nameless) made EVERY primary key in the system a NON-CLUSTERED INDEX.

Usually they have created a CLUSTERED INDEX on fields other than the PRIMARY KEY field.

Someone has told them this is just how databases are built. I wish I knew why.

However, I have one particularly glaring problem with a table where the PRIMARY KEY is NONCLUSTERED, but THERE IS NO CLUSTERED INDEX ON THE TABLE AT ALL!

To make matters worse, there are several tables with FOREIGN KEY constraints referencing the primary key field on this table. (This particular vendor hardly ever uses foreign key constraints, but in this particular instance, they put a foreign key constraint on every table referencing this. That happens to be a lot of tables.)

The following command, at least in SQL 2005 will change a nonclustered primary key index to a clustered primary key index without requiring you to drop the primary key, but it won't work if you have foreign keys dependent on this primary key.

CREATE UNIQUE CLUSTERED INDEX [PK_Whatever] ON [Whatever]([WhateverID])

WITH DROP_EXISTING

This doesn't help me, but perhaps it will help you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply