Convert with Case in SP Failure

• Hello everyone,

I have a little Problem here and I really need your help... I have a stored procedure and I have added this lines bellow -->

case

when ISNULL(org.is_round,1) = 1 THEN

CONVERT(NUMERIC(13,0), dc.moq)

else

CONVERT(NUMERIC(13,3), dc.moq)

end AS moq

but it doesnt work!!! I always get a 13,3 Numeric Value.

I have already tried it with this lines and that works -->

case

when ISNULL(org.is_round,1) = 1 THEN

'YES'

else

'NO'

end AS moq

I think its a sql server problem. I need this procedure to return this values exact because I am using them in a Website. Please if you know a better or smarter way to do this and when it works I would be very happy!!!!

Thank you all for your Help!!!

• Alter your clause to look like this and it should work ok, you had your when in the wrong location

case ISNULL(org.is_round,1) when 1 THEN

CONVERT(NUMERIC(13,0), dc.moq)

else

CONVERT(NUMERIC(13,3), dc.moq)

end AS moq

***The first step is always the hardest *******

• Thank you for the Answer. I tried it but it does not work. Its the same problem.

• A CASE expression can only return a single data type, so you will always get a NUMERIC(13,3).

• Thanks that really helps!!! So I will focus to find another way to solve this problem!!! Thanks a lot for you help!!!

• Are you sure that your evaluating expression is returning NULL?

I tried out the following and yes, I got numeric (13,0) as output.. Please have a look and let know if you are looking for something else..

declare @test-2 varchar(10)

set @test-2 = null

select case

when ISNULL(@test,1) = 1 THEN

CONVERT(NUMERIC(13,0), 10.113)

else

CONVERT(NUMERIC(13,3), 10.113)

end AS moq

-----

Outupt: when set @test-2 = null the output is 10.000

when set @test-2 = 11 the output is 10.113

• Hello,

you have right. I get the right output but I need it without nulls... So I get 13.000...

In this case I need to get 13...

Thank you!

• Michael Valentine Jones has right. I tried the round function but I always get the same type as result...

• Pls see this link: remove trailing zeros .

You may define a function and passing your recordset into that. Again there is no such straightforward function you can use.

• Wow!!! Cool Solution!

Thank you for the Help! I have figure out another solution. The values that you see are in kilogramms. We will convert the kilogramms in gramms (value * 1000) and so we solve the problem with the decimal point values!

Thanks again!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply