Convert to For/Next

• Any ideas on how to convert this function from cursor base to a for/next loop?

CREATE function GetRespondentFinal(

@RespondentID  int,

@SurveyInstanceID int)

returns int

as

begin

declare @xfinal int;

set @xfinal=null;

declare abc cursor for

select  max(mfinal) from (

select  MAX(sie.Final) mfinal

from EventLog el, surveyInstanceEvents sie

where el.respondentid = @respondentid

and el.eventID = sie.eventID

and sie.SurveyInstanceID = @SurveyInstanceID

union all

select  MAX(e.FinalCode)

from EventLog el, events e

where el.respondentid = @respondentid

and el.eventID = e.eventID

and not exists (select 'x'

from surveyinstanceevents sie

where sie.eventID = el.eventID

and sie.surveyinstanceID = @surveyinstanceID

)

&nbsp f;

set @xfinal=null;

open abc;

fetch abc into @xfinal;

close abc;

return ISNULL(@xfinal,0)

end

• CREATE function GetRespondentFinal(
      @RespondentID  int,
      @SurveyInstanceID int)
    returns int
    as
    begin
    declare @xfinal int;
    set @xfinal=null;

select  @xfinal=max(mfinal) from (  select  MAX(sie.Final) mfinal  from EventLog el, surveyInstanceEvents sie  where el.respondentid = @respondentid    and el.eventID = sie.eventID    and sie.SurveyInstanceID = @SurveyInstanceID  union all    select  MAX(e.FinalCode)     from EventLog el, events e    where el.respondentid = @respondentid    and el.eventID = e.eventID           and not exists (select 'x'              from surveyinstanceevents sie              where sie.eventID = el.eventID                and sie.surveyinstanceID = @surveyinstanceID              ) f

return ISNULL(@xfinal,0) end

• Thank you for your response. i tried doing this way but it dies on the first row. I need the ability to loop through a bunch of rows without using a cursor.

• The function you posted is a scalar function, which means it can only return a single value.

If you want it to return more than one value, it will have to be converted to a table valued function.

You didn't really expain what you are trying to do, the tables you are using, or what the data looks like, so I can't give you any more help than that.

• This function is called from within a update trigger. For instance let say I have 1000 respondents that insert into the respondent table. This update trigger which runs the function is run each time the update runs.

What is happening, is the whole process is timing out after say 500 rows are inserted. I have got the issue tracked down to this particular function because for whatever reason it throws a table lock which causes a block on the calling stored procedure.

• You say this is called from an update trigger, and then give an example involving one 1000 row insert (or 1000 single row inserts). Either way, unless the trigger is insert/update, "that ain't it".

Your conclusion re: locking is suspect, as triggers run under the same process as the calling sproc.

Going back to your original post, yes you can probably convert a cursor into a for/next, but why bother? You'd be substituting one form of row-by-row processing for another.

So, can you explain what it is you're trying to accomplish?

Thinking about it a little more, it occurs to me that you might be in an endless loop.

• Arthur,

Take a look here:

open abc;

fetch abc into @xfinal;

close abc;

Why are you using a cursor to fetch one row from a select query? 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply