Constraint Status Checking

• SQL Server allows you to enable and disable foreign key constraints by specifying the CHECK|NOCHECK options.

e.g. "ALTER TABLE Addressees  NOCHECK CONSTRAINT FK_Addressees"

Writing a cursor to turn off all of the foreign key constraints in a database is straightforward. However, where does SQL Server hold the information on whether a constraint has been disabled?

I want to be able to run through a database and identify any constraints that are currently disabled, but I can't find where this information is held.

Thanks,

Mike.

• sysreferences table contains mappings of FOREIGN KEY constraint definitions to the referenced columns and OBJECTPROPERTY returns information about objects.

select "select ObjectProperty(OBJECT_ID('" + object_name(constid) + "'), 'CnstIsDisabled')" from sysreferences will generate statements that tells you whether foreign key constraint is disabled.

• That's great.

Thanks for the info.

• I'd like to express my thanks too - I know I had done this before but I couldn't find it this morning and it was doing my head in - after a very unfruitful search on Google I was still banging my head on the desk - should have stuck here  in the first place - cheers mate.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply