Constraint Questions

• I have a field defined as a float.  I want to limit users to entering numbers between -99 through +99 (inclusive).  However, I also want to allow them to enter data after the decimal point but I only want them to be able to enter in either ".0", ".5".  So, for example, "-15", "-15.5", "+15.0", "7.5", "0", "0.5" are acceptable.  However, "-15.332", "7.4" aren't acceptable.  I'd like to match this regex...

[+-]?([1-9][0-9]?(\.5)?)|(0(\.5)?|\.5)

So, basically I guess I have 2 questions:

1)  Can I break up this problem into 2 separate constraints?  It seems like "ALTER TABLE myTable ADD CONSTRAINT CN_LimitRangeToNegAndPos99 CHECK (myFloatField BETWEEN -99 AND 99)" would limit the numbers entered to the necessary range.  So that would take care of one of my rules.  However, could I then add a 2nd check constraint that checks the decimal place and still achieve the desired effect?

2) How do I limit the "after decimal" part?

• Either enforce it in the front-end app or (assuming this is not an option) use a trigger.

Using the trigger you can alter the data from the inserted table to conform to your rules, or delete non-conforming data and raise an error (or pretty much anything else depending on your specific needs).  Note that you cannot alter the inserted table directly - you will need to reference it to update the real table (and therefore will need to ensure you have a primary key to identify rows, although you should have one anyway ).

I think to check for the ".0" and ".5" you would have to convert to a string and check the rightmost two characters.  Can't think of any other way to do this at the moment.

• - use decimal[(p[, s])]  check BOL in stead of float.

- check constaints can help to delimit values :

from BOL :

ALTER TABLE doc_exd 

ADD CONSTRAINT exd_check CHECK (column_a between -99 and +99)

alter table dox_exd 

ADD CONSTRAINT exd_check_precision CHECK (case column_a - cast(column_a as integer) when  0 then 1 when 0.5 then 1 else 0 end = 1)

- u can also use a trigger to perform these tests

test it

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply