Connections to sql server 2008

• We would like to limit the # of connection to some sql server 2008 database What is the best way of doing it .....concurrent connections....

• Change the "user connections" value in sp_configure

sp_configure 'user connections', Value

Value is the number of users that you want to restrict to

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• Will that stop users from accessing the database from a web app also

• Will that stop users from accessing the database from a web app also

• that would limit all connections, whether from your web app or form Management Studio; remember your web server will try too pool connections, so it'll be reusing some of those connectiosn for subsequent web requests.

what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Why limit the # of connections? I'm guessing you think that too many connections are hurting performance? Maybe you are trying to tackle a problem the wrong way...

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• That's a server level setting, not a DB level setting. You can only restrict user connections at the server level. And it's global, meaning maximum number of SPIDs that get created.

• Lic #

We have users accessing over the lic # limit

• Lic #

• Please

If you know of a better way to deal with this please let me know

Lic #

• Hate to sound snarky, but yeah, the better way of dealing with it is to license per processor if you are using a web app. Best practices specifically recommend against using user CALs for a web app for exactly the reason you are encountering here. Web apps should always be processor-based unless it's behind a firewall and you know exactly how many users will be hitting the server.

• You didnt sound snarky to me. This isnt my area !!!

I guess I will do some more research on this best on what you say

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply