Connection Problems with EM and Qry Analyzer

• My team has a production SQL Server 200 box at a remote hosted facility. I have been connecting via EM and Query Analyzer for months now (the server is in mixed mode, I use a SQL Server login to connect)Just yesterday I started getting the following error when trying to connect, which has continued today.

Connection Failed:

SQL State 01000

SQL Server Error: 11

ODBC SQL Server Driver [TCP/IP Sockets] ConnectionRecv()

Connection Failed:

SQL State 08501

SQL Server Error: 11

ODBC SQL Server Driver [TCP/IP Sockets] General Network Error Check your network Documentation.

This error happens with EM when doing open table/retrieve all rows. Analyzer gives a similar message initially, but I most of the time I am able to execute a query.

Any suggestions on where to look/what to look at to figure out what is happening?

The admin at our hosting facility says they didn't change anything on their network.

Thanks!

• When you say QA gives the message initially but most of the time you are able to execute the query, are you having to reconnect in order to make this happen? Is this error occuring only on connection or does it occur after you are connected (through QA) when you try and run the query?

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/shop/product.asp?ProductID=NI-SQL1

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• For QA, I get the dialog box to connect. Then I see a query window where I can type a query. If I hit F5 the query returns records.

But I cannot see the database list or change databases without using the "use databasename go" command. So it looks like an initial connection is made but the tools don't recognize it or something.

In EM, I can see the table, etc but Can't view the data.

• Have you recently installed new software on your workstation? I've received that error in the past if some program has changed the client network utility and/or the server network utility to use a different protocol. Check and make sure you are using the same protocol on both machines.

I switched our servers recently to TCP/IP only and one of our developers couldn't get the list of databases in QA until he changed the default protocol on the client network utility on his workstation.

HTH,

Michelle Morris

Michelle

• To my knowledge, no new software has been installed on my workstation or 2 other workstations having this problem. I checked the client network utility and it matches the server. Both are set for TCP/IP.

Any other things to check or ask our network admin about?? Could a firewall possibly be preventing me from getting out??

• Try connecting with ODBC dsn i got the same problem while using TCP/IP and Named pipe connections. Change the connection property to named pipe and see if it works....

Prakash

Prakash Heda
    Lead DBA Team - www.sqlfeatures.com
    Video sessions on Performance Tuning and SQL 2012 HA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply