Connection problem...

• I wasn't sure where to post this but....

I have multiple Win03 machines running SQL 2000 dbs. I have one machine (SRV1) that will not resolve the db connection.

ERROR: the SQL server does not exist or access is denied.

I have turned off the firewalls. The Enterprise Manager works in either direction SRV1 to another and any other to SRV1.

I've tried using ODBC manager to login to it but it will only login locally to itself. (ODBC manager on SRV1) from any other machine it fails with same error.

I can use the ODBC manager on SRV1 to link any remote SQL db.

Any Ideas???????????????????

Bang'in my head!!!!

thanks, arch

A.S.

MCSE, ASE, DBA

Webmaster

Applications Developer

• Any chance that the other connecting machine isn't a windows 2003 machine?

In that case you need to set some security options for MSDTC.

Might find the kb back on monday.

• All machines are Win2003 standard server...

Now to make matters more strange...over the weekend I've lost the connection through Enterprise Manager as well !:w00t:

A.S.

MCSE, ASE, DBA

Webmaster

Applications Developer

• Are you working with sql authentication or integrated security (windows authentication)?

Are the servers up & running?

• Yes...all the servers are up & running.

I can log into each one.

I have SQL set for both SQL & windows auth.

My end goal is to display db data on an active server page. This is my connection string...this is well tested in my environment.

Application("Tracking_ConnectionString") = "Provider=SQLOLEDB; Data Source=" & ServerName & "; User Id=" & UID & "; Password=" & PWD & "; Initial Catalog=Tracking"

But I started using the ODBC manager just to try loging in.

UPDATE:

I re-installed SQL Sp4...I have some of my other servers connecting now but still not all...I'm still missing something.

Thanks for your ideas, arch

A.S.

MCSE, ASE, DBA

Webmaster

Applications Developer

• UPDATE:

After playing with everything I could think of yesterday...by the end of the day all the server Dbs were loging in & working.

Unfortunately I can't tell for the life of me what was wrong in the first place. And that sucks!

Thx, arch

A.S.

MCSE, ASE, DBA

Webmaster

Applications Developer

• *fingers crossed*

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply