Connection From OUTSIDE Problem

• Re; Dymanic IPs. I'd just like to add that http://www.no-ip.com provides an excellent service to resolve dynamic IP addresses. The basic service is free. All you do is download a small chunk of code that talks to their service. You then establish an account and add 'servers' such as fred.no-ip.org When the service runs you attach to fred.no-ip.org rather than your dynamic IP address and NO-IP cfreates your connection. We use it for remote purposes so that we never have to worry about IP address!

By the way - I have the same problem. I can attach to an SQL Server on my LAN, but not via the WAN. I tried initially going out of my router and coming back in again. That did not work. Then I dialled up using a backup low speed line. And that did not work. If you have got your WAN connection working - then please let me know how you did it!

Kind regards

Paul

• G'd Afternoon Paul!

I'm sorry for the "lapsus" i just forgot to post the solution i had found thanks to this great site and Mark's kind help.

I had implemented the No-Ip service in several places, it really works!!.

The connection strings i actually use are:

VB6/VBA

strcon = "Driver={SQL Server};" & _

"Server=YourSevername;" & _

"Address=xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;" & _

"Database=YourDbName;" & _

"User ID=YourLogin;" & _

"Pwd=YourPassword"

VB .Net

strCon = "Data Source=xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;" & _

"Initial Catalog=yourdbname;" & _

"User ID=YourUser;" & _

"Pwd=YourPassword"

Pocket PC 2k2/2k3

strCnn = "packet size=4096;" & _

"Data Source=xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;" & _

"Initial Catalog=yourdbname;" & _

"User ID=YourUser;" & _

"Pwd=YourPassword"

I really hope this help you as it helped me.

Regards

Estuardo

Manifest plainness,Embrace simplicity,Reduce selfishness,Have few desires.
    Lao-t'ze.

• Paul,

Did you try disabling your LAN connection?

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Hi Guys - sorry for the long delay - back from being away and back to the same old problem. 

Thanks for all your help so far, but I still cant get it working. The last thing I have tried is to use the port number at the end of the Address string. Still no joy. I have also stopped using the NO-IP host name as the address, and started using the raw IP address. I have even tried switching of all firewalls!!!! But still, the same.

Do I need to have a web server up and running on this PC?

Thanks very much for any help... Hopefully looking forward to hearing something

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply