Connecting to Oracle from SQL

• Adam Bean (1/12/2010)

Gift, I can run DTS on Windows 7 using SSMS (2k5 and 2k8) just fine.

The DTS is running in Windows 7 with a wrapper but that wrapper may not be passed to Oracle at the point of connection.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• So, I setup it on my XP box with the same installation that I layed out earlier ... and it appears to be working. I still had the same problem with the mesg folder only having the one file, doubt that's of much concern.

This is just me testing/playing locally ... Once this all goes to production, it will be running on Windows 2008. Think I'm going to have the same problem? Is there anyway to get this working in 7/2008? Do I need to go back to my developers and tell them it's time to convert to SSIS?

Thanks

• Adam Bean (1/12/2010)

So, I setup it on my XP box with the same installation that I layed out earlier ... and it appears to be working. I still had the same problem with the mesg folder only having the one file, doubt that's of much concern.

This is just me testing/playing locally ... Once this all goes to production, it will be running on Windows 2008. Think I'm going to have the same problem? Is there anyway to get this working in 7/2008? Do I need to go back to my developers and tell them it's time to convert to SSIS?

Thanks

DTS is TDS (tabular data stream) 80 so depending on what the package is doing you need to tell the developers to write the package in SSIS which comes with more features.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks Gift, you've been most helpful.

I did test it out on Windows 2008 and it appears to work ok. In regards to moving to SSIS though, I would still need this oracle client install for the OLE DB drivers though correct? Or does SSIS have it built in?

The problem I'm having is that I don't want to install additional software on this environment. It's currently a 6 node cluster hosting multiple instances, and I really didn't want to install anything non SQL. Yet it would appear that I have to install this Oracle client ...

Thanks

• Adam Bean (1/12/2010)

Thanks Gift, you've been most helpful.

I did test it out on Windows 2008 and it appears to work ok. In regards to moving to SSIS though, I would still need this oracle client install for the OLE DB drivers though correct? Or does SSIS have it built in?

The problem I'm having is that I don't want to install additional software on this environment. It's currently a 6 node cluster hosting multiple instances, and I really didn't want to install anything non SQL. Yet it would appear that I have to install this Oracle client ...

Thanks

I don't know about server but Oracle client installs in D drive so if you install it in a separate drive with the TNSNAMES.ORA file I don't think it will affect your cluster. There is a new Oracle connector from a Microsoft partner which enables fast load so you may have to look at it. The client is required for anything that uses Oracle for development and SSIS is development in most cases. I am glad I could help.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi Adam,

I'm glad you got it working. According to the statement referenced here http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/windows/index.html, Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 will be supported in 11.2, due in the first quarter of 2010. Vista and Server 2008 are currently supported on 10.2 and 11.1.

If you need something more lightweight, you could also try the ODAC http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/windows/odpnet/index.html . . . assuming that you are not fed up of installing stuff. HTH

• Thanks again Nice, most appreciated.

I am downloading the ODAC now and will give it a shot.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply