Connecting to another SQL Server

• This is very strange, but I am having a problem connecting to another sql server on my network. I can go to that box, and connect back to the one that I am on now. However, I cannot connect to the other.

Server 1 to Server 2 = no connection

Server 2 to Server 1 = Connects fine

RPC service is running on both boxes.

Anything that anyone can recommend? I cannot see it if I try to browse from within SQL Query Analyzer. I cannot type in the box name and connect to it. I can however, go over to that box and log in to SQL just fine using SQL auth.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Andrew SQLDBA

• Is there a listener on #1? Check the error log, be sure that it's listening for remote connections. It could be set to only local connections.

• It is set to allow remote connections from other servers.

But it will not accept any.

Thanks

Andrew

• what does the error log show for listeners?

what about netstat -a?

• Check the following options for making connection from Server 1 to Server 2 (= no connection).

1. Add TCP/IP or NP alias on Server1 for the server2.

2. try to connect server2 using this command from server1

a) from queryanalyser type np:server2 (ex: np:MTGADMSRV1) or use

b) from queryanalyser type tcp:server2;1433 (where 1433 is port name).

3. Check on what port it is running. add exceptions for port in firewall.

Lets check these options...

• What is odd, I also have SQL 2005 running on both boxes as well as SQL 2000, and I can connect to any of the SQL 2005 database just as normal.

I am not sure what you are talking about when you say "listener"

I have always ran both versions of SQL on both boxes, and never had this problem, this is something that is just began to happen.

Thanks

Andrew SQLDBA

• SQL server has a listener that must respond to connection requests. The listener has to "take" a port from the OS when SQL server starts up. If you look in the error log, right at startup, it will say it's listening on so and so port or pipe.

• 1. Windows firewall.

2. SQL server / Agent of server 2 are running on the "local" accounts.

3. SQL server browser service is not running on computer 1.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply