Connecting to an instance of SQL Server 2000

• My company uses SQL 2000 in conjunction with our program.  The problem I am having is onboard a ship.  This program works solely on the ship and doesn't require to travel outside the domain.  The domain does not have an internal firewall.

My problem is that anytime the ship loses connectivity with the outside world (loss of T-1 connection to the pier).  When I try to access my program, it is unable to find the instance of SQL Server that is installed on a server, on the same domain (ship). 

I know that SQL uses ports to communicate with clients, but haven't been able to isolate that issue.

When I run the program at the server, where it and SQL are installed, I don't get an error and the program connects to SQL with no problem.

Thanks

• In all probability this is more of a network issue than SQL Server. I'd look at the topology of your network first before SQL Server and the ports is uses (TCP 1433, UDP 1434). Where does the T1 link come in ? Where are your Domain controller(s) and SQL Server(s) in relation to each other on the network backbone ? Are there any firewalls ? Is there a 'trust' relationship between the domain(s) on the ship to ones possible onshore ?

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Try setting your application up to use an IP address for the SQL server instead of a network name.  You might be having name resolution problems.

• Thanks!  I did some more research since the initial post and I believe it has something to do with DNS.  I've got them doing some looking right now.

• I wish you luck.  I remember seeing exactly that:  DNS lookups, even internal ones, didn't work when the Internet connection was down, due to a misconfiguration.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply