Connect to clustered instances without port

• I am sure I could do this previous versions.  Clustered (wsfc) Sql 2017,  I can connect to the default instance without port (ie clustered name resource) but not with additional instances.  I must use [clusterinstancename],[port].
    Is it possible to do without port, ie. connect directly to the name resource?  I have been trying now for a week without luck.

• Is the instance setup as an FCI (failover cluster instance) - or AlwaysOn?

When installing an instance for FCI - the clustered resource will have an IP address and domain name assigned in DNS.   That name is what you reference when accessing that instance in the cluster.  If you are installing standalone instances that are built as AlwaysOn availability groups - then you need to create an IP address and name in DNS and add that as a listener in the AlwaysOn configuration.  You then reference the instance using the listener name or IP address.

For either configuration - you also need to have SQL Browser running and not disabled.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks Jeffery, its a 2 node FCI. Sql browser enabled and running on both nodes. Failover seamless, for the default and 4 named instances installed. Default instance accessible without port, just can't manage it for the named instances. I can only get to them using either nameresource\instancename OR nameresource,port.

This is all related to a Sql hardware refresh, a load of applications and connection strings that I would rather leave as is.
    Cheers
    Damien.

• Damien

Are you supplying the instance name as well - VIRTUALSERVERNAME\INSTANCENAME?

John

• For the example I am discussing:

Clustered name resource: reporting
    Instance name: RO
    Port 1436.

These work:
    reporting\ro
    reporting,1436

My goal is to use "reporting" only in the connections strings.

• No, that won't work.  You could set up an alias, but I think you'd have to do that on every client computer.

John

• Ok thanks John.  I will keep trying!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply