Configuring SQL to a single cpu

• Is it possible to configure SQL 2005 so that it only uses a single processor on a multi-processor box?  I can't afford to buy a license for all my processors right now, so I want to just run it on one.

• yes you can do it, but i don't know if the license says you have to physically remove the CPU's from the server

• I think You can change in SSMS ...

Processor Licensing Model

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/processor.mspx

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• You can change the affinity mask in the SQL server properties, BUT:

You still need to license every CPU that is accessible to the operating system on which SQL server is running.  I seem to recall an exception for machines with more than 8 CPUs, but I'm not sure if that still applies.

So, it would seem that you can't.

There is another way, however, and that is to run SQL server on an OS in a Virtual Machine.  You could use VMWare or MS Virtual Server. 

In the case of MS Virtual Server, you would need 2 OS licenses.  One for the host (physical mcahine) and one for the Guest (Virtual machine), but you would use a single processor license for SQL.

At least that's how I interpret the licensing rules for VMs.  You might want to go take a look at the SQL licensing information on Microsoft's website. There is a document that details everything you need to know.

I do run many SQL servers in VMs and I have not yet had a problem.

jg

• >>I do run many SQL servers in VMs and I have not yet had a problem. <<

How much load are those servers taking ?

* Noel

• All of it.  heh.

So far I'm not putting much load on any of them. 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply