Configuring min memory per query option and index create memory option

• So I started a new job recently and have noticed a few strange configurations. Typically I would never mess with min memory per query option and index create memory option configuration because i just haven't seen any need to. My typical thought is that if it isn't broke... They have been modified on every single server in my environment. Anyone have any thoughts for or against changing these?

From Books Online:

• This option is an advanced option and should be changed only by an experienced database administrator or certified SQL Server technician.

• The index create memory option is self-configuring and usually works without requiring adjustment. However, if you experience difficulties creating indexes, consider increasing the value of this option from its run value.

• I have been doing SQL Server for about 20 years, most of that as a consultant at all kinds of clients. I can count on precisely zero fingers the number of times I have adjusted either of those values.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• I've seen systems like that. They're usually a mess because *someone* has been fiddling with things that they probably don't understand.

I've never changed either, when I do find them changed in a system I know I'm going to find horrible configuration problems because someone's been fiddling.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • There are many other horrible configuration changes that have been made. I have been readjusting as I find them. Thanks much for your insight. I 100% agree with your assessment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply