conditional operator

• hello,

is this acceptable in a stored procedure?

CREATE Procedure Search

@TicketID int

AS

BEGIN

SELECT * from Tickets

WHERE UserID= '10' AND (@TicketID>0?TicketID=@TicketID:true)

END

GO

i am having a problem with the ?: (Incorrect syntax near '?'.)

thanks in advance

Kindest Regards,

Abd

• Are you looking for something like this?

IF (@TicketID>0)

BEGIN

SELECT * from Tickets

WHERE UserID= '10'

AND TicketID=@TicketID

END

ELSE IF (@TicketID<=0)

BEGIN

SELECT * from Tickets

WHERE UserID= '10'

END

• You could also use

SELECT *

FROM Tickets

WHERE UserID = '10'

AND ( @TicketID <= 0

OR ( @TicketID > 0

AND TicketID = @TicketID

)

)

A few comments:

1: If the UserID is a numeric type, you may want to use UserID = 10.

2: Select * is a bad practice (although I assume you included it only for the sake of the example, having shorter examples is more important :))

3: This is a controversial topic, but it is common to use NULLs for extremal values (instead of a TicketID that is 0)

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• Thank you Andras and Nisha for your replies

In fact Andras, yes, this is a short example of my sp

but the problem here i can not use the IF statement, because i will have a 2-3 pages code, so i went to the '?:'

my code would rather be more like:

AND (@TicketID>0?TicketID=@TicketID:true) AND (@Type is null?true:Type=@Type) AND ...

what am doing is that i have more than 5 input parameters, and if an input parameter is null, i don't want to include it in the where statement, note that i dont know which input parameter(s) would be null (they, all, also can have values)

i used true just to skip the statement in the parenthesis (AND true => won't hurt anyone ;))

i hope i made it clear

i appreciate any new suggestions

🙂

Kindest Regards,

Abd

• --try with this code

CREATE Procedure Search

@TicketID int

AS

BEGIN

IF (@TicketID>0)

BEGIN

SELECT * from Tickets

WHERE UserID= '10' AND TicketID=@TicketID

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SELECT * from Tickets

WHERE UserID= '10'

END

END

GO

• abd (3/5/2008)

Thank you Andras and Nisha for your replies

but the problem here i can not use the IF statement, because i will have a 2-3 pages code, so i went to the '?:'

AND (@TicketID>0?TicketID=@TicketID:true) AND (@Type is null?true:Type=@Type) AND ...

what am doing is that i have more than 5 input parameters, and if an input parameter is null, i don't want to include it in the where statement, note that i dont know which input parameter(s) would be null (they, all, also can have values)

i used true just to skip the statement in the parenthesis (AND true => won't hurt anyone ;))

i hope i made it clear

🙂

If you can use NULLs then there are other solutions, e.g.:

ISNULL(@TicketID-TicketID, 0) = 0

If the @TicketID is null, the first expression will be null, and the left hand will be set to 0 because of the ISNULL, so the condition will evaluate to true. If @TicketID is not null, it will check the difference, if @TicketID and TicketID equal, the condition will evaluate to true, otherwise to false (I assume that TicketID is never null).

This will keep your expression compact, but performance may become an issue (you are using a function in the where clause, so indexes will not be properly used). Personally I'd just rewrite the condition with proper ANDs and ORs 🙂

Regards,

Andras

GoldenGate Software

• nice solution

but does it work for nvarchar parameters?

Kindest Regards,

Abd

• abd (3/5/2008)

nice solution

but does it work for nvarchar parameters?

No, it does not 🙂 nvarchars seems to have become a new requirement for this problem 🙂

There is of course another alternative if your statement gets even more complex, and it is to use dynamic SQL.

Regards,

Andras

GoldenGate Software

• 😀

I will go with dynamic SQL, but implicitly i hope to find another way ! :hehe:

Thanks anyway 🙂

Kindest Regards,

Abd

• abd (3/5/2008)

Thank you Andras and Nisha for your replies

i hope i made it clear

🙂

We use this approach for variable parameters that may or may not be supplied. It works very well. It's set based. It will take advantage of indexes. It doesn't cause excessive recompiles.

... AND CASE WHEN @MyParam IS NULL THEN 1

WHEN a.ColumnName = @MyParam THEN 1

ELSE 0

END = 1

Best of all, no dynamic SQL is used.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thank you :w00t:

You are the best, Grant.

Kindest Regards,

Abd

• Grant Fritchey (3/5/2008)

We use this approach for variable parameters that may or may not be supplied. It works very well. It's set based. It will take advantage of indexes. It doesn't cause excessive recompiles.

... AND CASE WHEN @MyParam IS NULL THEN 1 WHEN a.ColumnName = @MyParam THEN 1 ELSE 0 END = 1

Best of all, no dynamic SQL is used.

Did the 2 DBAs with the 8 years of experience even come close to answering something like that, Grant? 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Now you're being mean.

😎

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Well... maybe a little evil 🙂 It is a good "tie breaker" question.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• For complex searches or reports with many optional parameters dynamic SQL is often the best solution. I would carefully evaluate the query plans that you get with dynamic SQL vs. what you get with something like this:

AND

CASE

WHEN @MyParam IS NULL THEN 1

WHEN a.ColumnName = @MyParam THEN 1

ELSE 0 END = 1

Also, since no one else has suggested it, you might use a hybrid approach where you identify the most common parameter combinations that are actually used, code selects specifically for those, and use the dynamic SQL or CASE approach for the rarely used combinations.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply