Compatibility concerns on Upgrading to 64bit SQL server 2005

• We are planning to Build up a new server to run on Windows server 2008 Standard Edition 64 bit to utilize more RAM.

The main usage of this server will be hosting the legacy Apps' SQL Server databases.

Searched the Forum, it is suggested that 32 bit ODBC drivers will not working with 64 bit SQL server. As some of our applications will be connecting to the server via ODBC and not on 64bit OS, we don't want to set ourself up in a trap.

I would like to ask whether there is anyone experiencing this kind of incompatibility issue when going with 64bit SQL server. and what are the solutions or workrounds..if we do wanna go with 64bit.

Thanks in Advance!

• i did had couple of issues on migrating to windows 2003 64 bit server. Like oracle drivers, Jet OLE db connections. I did get a work around for it. But i m not sure if it is applicable to windows server 2008.. let me know if you need any more information..thanks.

• Thanks for the reply. I will test those applications on our test box and if I got issue, I will bother you again. 🙂

Actually, if 64bit SQL server not works out well, we are also thinking about resorting back to install SQL server 2005 32bit on the 64bit box. That way, the 32 bit drivers should still work and the SQL server could access more RAM that the 64bit OS could address.

But still, that is just a thought. Some posts suggest that this path may also cause some degrading performance as it will utilist WOW. I would like to know how bad this will affect the performance if installing 32bit SQL over a 64bit OS.

Any input is appreciated. TYI.

• These types of issues are not for client systems accessing SQL Server. Your clients will use whichever ODBC client software they need to on their systems, either 32bit or 64bit.

The problems people are reporting about x64 is having SQL Server itself accessing other systems through linked servers. For example, if you have a linked server connecting to an Access database, moving your SQL Server to x64 is going to cause a problem because the Jet ODBC drivers do not exist for an x64 system.

Again, your client systems will use the appropriate drivers for their systems to access SQL Server and won't care whether or not that SQL Server is running x86 or x64.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks for the clarification, Jeff.

That is a big relief.

• You are welcome - and thanks for the feedback.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply