Compare two tables and return result

• Hi All,

Im curious if this can be done and if it can what would be the best way to achieve it, I have an online exam im building that has a total of 36 questions, i want to store the correct answers to the questions in a table called ExamAnswers

I then want to then pass in the answers the user has given in to a stored procedure and compare the answers they have given with the correct answers from the ExamAnswers table and return a count on how many they got correct,

Is that possible if so how could i do it?

• Please don’t compare questions & answers row-by-row. If I understood the question correctly, you already have a table with correct answers. Create another table (temporary / actual) for user supplied data and join them based on QueNum and AnsVal. It will return you rows for matching (correct answers) rows which you can use for further calculation.

• Someone told me to compare row by row, but i did think that was a bad way of doing it, thats why i asked on here to see if there is a correct way of doing it,

ill do what you have said 😀 thanks

• It was a nice decision on your part. In general, you should avoid row-by-row operations as much as possible.

• Sounds possible, but without seeing the table definitions it's hard to be more precise than that.

Please post table definitions, sample data and desired output. Read this to see the best way to post this to get quick responses.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Thanks for the response, Below is my Result table this holds all the correct answers for the exam

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Correct_ExamAnswers](

[Answer1] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer2] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer3] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer4] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer5] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer6] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer7] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer8] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer9] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer10] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer11] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer12] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer13] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer14] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer15] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer16] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer17] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer18] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer19] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer20] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer21] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer22] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer23] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer24] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer25] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer26] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer27] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer28] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer29] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer30] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer31] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer32] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer33] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer34] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer35] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer36] [varchar](15) NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

Below is my ExamResults Table this is populated when the user has clicked Finish on the exam so basicallys it inserts the values

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[ExamResults](

[UserID] [int] NOT NULL,

[Question1] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question2] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question3] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question4] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question5] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question6] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question7] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question8] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question9] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question10] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question11] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question12] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question13] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question14] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question15] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question16] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question17] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question18] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question19] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question20] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question21] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question22] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question23] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question24] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question25] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question26] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question27] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question28] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question29] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question30] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question31] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question32] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question33] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question34] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question35] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Question36] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Result] [int] NULL,

Now comes the difficult part what i want to do is compare Question1 with Answer1 etc all the way down to Question36 with Answer36 and return an int which will be the number of correct answers if someone can help me with a snippet or a starting point i would appreciate it.

Thank you

• Sample data please?

How many rows in Correct_ExamAnswers? How do I tell which exam a user wrote?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• It’s a bad design. If you need to add another question in the exam will you alter the table (and keep altering as & when required)? Please redesign it & make the question & answers appear as rows rather than columns. Then the set based approach that I already explained will work properly.

• There is only one row in the correct_ExamAnswers with 36 columns is that what you ment?, In the ExamResults Table there is a UserID column which gets populated with the current user logged in which is an Int, i have a UserAccount table which will be used to compare the information which is here

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[UserAccount](

[UserID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[UserName] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,

[uPassword] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,

[FirstName] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,

[Surname] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,

[Email] [varchar](75) NOT NULL,

[ExamTaken] [bit] NOT NULL,

[AccountType] [int] NULL,

Sample data how do you want it? Question1 = 4 etc? or is there a more easier way of getting this information out of the Correct_ExamResults table without having to do Question1 = 4 Question2 = etc

• Dev (4/22/2012)

It’s a bad design. If you need to add another question in the exam will you alter the table (and keep altering as & when required)? Please redesign it & make the question & answers appear as rows rather than columns. Then the set based approach that I already explained will work properly.

How do i do that? im not strong in SQL

Update sorry ignour the above,

Twigged on what you mean so basically have two columns

Q A

Question1 4

Question2 11

etc

• .Netter (4/22/2012)

There is only one row in the correct_ExamAnswers with 36 columns is that what you ment?

So what happens if a second exam is added? How would you be able to store the correct answers to multiple exams? Surely an exam system can't be expected to only ever have one exam in it?

What happens if another exam needs to be stored and it has 40 questions, not 36? And a third with only 10?

Gail Shaw

• This Exam System only has one exam which has 36 questions, the questions never change, this is purely being made to replace the current paper based version we have in place at the moment,

I have Listened to what Dev has said and changed the Correct_ExamResults table to the following

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Correct_ExamAnswers](

[Question] [varchar](15) NULL,

[Answer] [varchar](15) NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

• Are you absolutely sure there will never, never, never, never be a second exam? Never have something with a second set of answers?

p.s. You need to change the examresults table the same way if you are going to change either. If you're absolutely certain that the questions will never change, your original design is sufficient.

p.p.s Sample data - see the article I posted.

Gail Shaw

• Now it’s turning to database design question than T-SQL question. Please don’t mind, if you are not comfortable in doing the designing please seek for help in your organization. It’s not something that somebody can guide you on forum in a day or two.

At high level I believe you need Exam, Question_Set, Question (with options & correct answer), Exam_Schedule, Candidate etc. tables in your database.

• GilaMonster (4/22/2012)

Are you absolutely sure there will never, never, never, never be a second exam? Never have something with a second set of answers?

p.s. You need to change the examresults table the same way

p.p.s Sample data - see the article I posted.

There will only be one Exam which is the one in question at the moment, When users come in for an interview they will sit this exam! and there information will be recorded in the ExamResults Tables so

User Score

User1 27

user2 10

user3 21

Ok ill look at your post and post back with sample data

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply