compare getdate

• Hi

Im trying to compare the getdate function with a column of the same type they work and returns data if i use less than < but when i want to cut out the time portion they will not compare it returns nothing.

Any suggestions?

Here is a snip?

SELECT     dbo.DEC_TXN.*

FROM         dbo.DEC_TXN INNER JOIN

dbo.CALENDAR ON dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD = dbo.CALENDAR.dt

WHERE     REPLACE(LEFT(Convert(varchar(10),dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD,120),10),'-','')= REPLACE(LEFT(Convert(varchar(10),getdate(),120),10),'-','')

Kindest Regards,

Kashief

• I actually need to return data everything including from yest.. 07:00am till when ever the query is run. but i cant even get the getdate to work without the date portion.

Kindest Regards,

Kashief

• the way you had it would execute inefficiently and not use indexes.

Try this way.

SELECT dbo.DEC_TXN.*

FROM dbo.DEC_TXN

INNER JOIN dbo.CALENDAR ON dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD = dbo.CALENDAR.dt

where dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD between convert(datetime, convert(varchar(10),dateadd(dd,-1,getdate(),101) + '07:00:00')) and getdate()

return all records between yesterday at 7:00 am, and right now.

• SELECT dbo.DEC_TXN.*

FROM dbo.DEC_TXN

where dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD between convert(datetime, convert(varchar(10),dateadd(dd,-1,getdate(),101) + '07:00:00')) and getdate()

Server: Msg 174, Level 15, State 1, Line 4

The dateadd function requires 3 arguments.

Even though it has three arguments.

Kindest Regards,

Kashief

• I think a bracket has been misplaced somehow, you had four arguments in DateAdd(). I also added a space at the front of the ' 07:00:00'

convert(datetime,convert(varchar(10),dateadd(dd,-1,getdate()),101)+ ' 07:00:00')

David

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

• What doesn't have 3 arguments in the code above is the outer "convert" function. Also, I was thinking that I'd be surprised if the INNER JOIN would return many (or any) rows as my guess is that the date in the CALENDAR table has a time of 00:00:00.000 whereas the DATE_LOAD will probably have some time value. Do you need to join to this CALENDAR table? It appears no columns are being used from it.

The manner I would try for this query is:

SELECT dbo.DEC_TXN.* FROM dbo.DEC_TXN WHERE dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD >= dateadd(hh,-17, convert(datetime, cast(month(getdate()) as char(2)) + '/' + cast(day(getdate()) as char(2)) + '/' + cast(year(getdate()) as char(4)),101))

This should return all DEC_TXN records with a DATE_LOAD datetime greater than or equal to yesterday at 7:00am.

• I have created the Calendar table so as to display all public holidays

Snip

dt                                                     isWeekday isHoliday Y      FY     Q    M    D    DW   monthname dayname   W    HolidayDescription              

------------------------------------------------------ --------- --------- ------ ------ ---- ---- ---- ---- --------- --------- ---- --------------------------------

2000-01-02 00:00:00                                    0         0         2000   2000   1    1    2    1    January   Sunday    2    NULL

2000-01-03 00:00:00                                    1         0         2000   2000   1    1    3    2    January   Monday    2    NULL

2000-01-04 00:00:00                                    1         0         2000   2000   1    1    4    3    January   Tuesday   2    NULL

2000-01-05 00:00:00                                    1         0         2000   2000   1    1    5    4    January   Wednesday 2    NULL

2000-01-06 00:00:00                                    1         0         2000   2000   1    1    6    5    January   Thursday  2    NULL

2000-01-07 00:00:00                                    1         0         2000   2000   1    1    7    6    January   Friday    2    NULL

But in the first scenario:

SELECT     dbo.DEC_TXN.*

dbo.CALENDAR ON dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD = dbo.CALENDAR.dt

WHERE     REPLACE(LEFT(Convert(varchar(10),dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD,120),10),'-','')= REPLACE(LEFT(Convert(varchar(10),getdate(),120),10),'-','')

I wanted to match todays date with any records in the dec_txn table... before i could check if it was a public holiday or weekend. Nothing Macthed which didn make sense.

In the normal week days it needs to return everything from yest 7 am till today whenever the query is run hence getdate().

If it were a weekend i need to return everything since the last working today. My Calendar table works 100%

Eg. Easter weekend would return all records from dec_txn everything since Easter Friday up until the day after Easter Monday including that tuesday.

And this is y i need to use the inner join the date_load does use a time stamp.

This is what my query looks like so far and it still returns nothing:

SELECT    dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD,dbo.CALENDAR.dt

dbo.CALENDAR ON  dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD = dbo.CALENDAR.dt

WHERE     (dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD >= DATEADD(hh, - 17, CONVERT(datetime, CAST(MONTH(GETDATE()) AS char(2)) + '/' + CAST(DAY(GETDATE()) AS char(2))

+ '/' + CAST(YEAR(GETDATE()) AS char(4)), 101)))

any Suggestions?

Kindest Regards,

Kashief

• Does DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD have non-zero times?  If so, your join will not return any rows, since in your example the Calendar table has zero times.

Also, you doing unnecessary work - use CONVERT style 112 (YYYYMMDD) instead of 125, and you won't need to do the REPLACE()

JOIN unchanged:

SELECT dbo.DEC_TXN.*

FROM dbo.DEC_TXN

WHERE Convert(varchar(8),dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD,112) = Convert(varchar(8),getdate(),112)

JOIN changed:

SELECT dbo.DEC_TXN.*

FROM dbo.DEC_TXN

INNER JOIN dbo.CALENDAR

ON Convert(varchar(8), dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD,112) = Convert(varchar(8),dbo.CALENDAR.dt,112)

WHERE Convert(varchar(8),dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD,112) = Convert(varchar(8),getdate(),112)

• It still doesnt match anything even though i try 

JOIN changed:

SELECT dbo.DEC_TXN.*

FROM dbo.DEC_TXN

INNER JOIN dbo.CALENDAR

ON Convert(varchar(8), dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD,112) = Convert(varchar(8),dbo.CALENDAR.dt,112)

Yes my Dec_txn Table does have 00:00:00 items for time, but i have changed the DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD field to use times for the current year and this is what i need to match on. First i need to find a macth on a date then the time portion. I dont understand because it does not wana macth even on the date portion alone.

With the folling queries it returns dates in this form:

SELECT Convert(varchar(8),getdate(),112)AS 'Getdate'

SELECT Convert(varchar(8),dbo.CALENDAR.dt,112) As 'Calendar'

FROM dbo.CALENDAR

SELECT Convert(varchar(8), dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD,112) As 'DEC_TXN'

FROM dbo.DEC_TXN

Getdate 

--------

Calendar

--------

DEC_TXN 

--------

and when i do a join it still returns nothing.

Kindest Regards,

Kashief

• It must be a data issue, such as:

1. The Calendar table doesn't include today's date

2. The JOIN alone doesn't return any data, in which case the Calendar table once again doesn't include dates in the DEC_TXN table.

Without seeing all the data, I can't say for sure. In these types of situations, I very closely analyze all of the data in all of the applicable tables. It's got to be a data issue, because the query looks good to me.

Of course, unless you are using other columns from the Calendar table that are not shown here, why not just use:

SELECT dbo.DEC_TXN.*

FROM dbo.DEC_TXN 

WHERE Convert(varchar(8), dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD, 112) = Convert(varchar(8), GetDAte(), 112)

Back to the original question, what do you get when you execute this query:

SELECT Convert(varchar(8), dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD,112) AS LoadDate

, Convert(varchar(8),dbo.CALENDAR.dt,112) AS CalDate

FROM dbo.DEC_TXN

INNER JOIN dbo.CALENDAR

and this query:

SELECT Convert(varchar(8), dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD,112) AS LoadDate

, Convert(varchar(8),dbo.CALENDAR.dt,112) AS CalDate

FROM dbo.DEC_TXN

LEFT JOIN dbo.CALENDAR

• Thanks all, its seems that i had to use a little discretion from everyone who pitched in something, and come up with the best solution.

My final query looks like this:

SELECT     COUNT(*) AS [COUNT], dbo.DEC_TXN.CUSTOMER, dbo.DEC_TXN.STATUS, dbo.STATUS.STATUS_DESC

dbo.CALENDAR ON CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD, 112) = CONVERT(varchar(8), dbo.CALENDAR.dt, 112) INNER JOIN

dbo.STATUS ON dbo.DEC_TXN.STATUS = dbo.STATUS.STATUS

WHERE     (dbo.DEC_TXN.DATE_LOAD >= DATEADD(hh, - 17, CONVERT(datetime, CAST(MONTH(GETDATE()) AS char(2)) + '/' + CAST(DAY(GETDATE()) AS char(2))

+ '/' + CAST(YEAR(GETDATE()) AS char(4)), 101)))

GROUP BY dbo.DEC_TXN.CUSTOMER, dbo.DEC_TXN.STATUS , dbo.STATUS.STATUS_DESC

ORDER by dbo.DEC_TXN.CUSTOMER, dbo.DEC_TXN.STATUS

and it works i just need to add a filter to include the public holidays and weekends now..

Once again thanks to all

Kindest Regards,

Kashief

• Hi Kazo,

To get rid of the time part in GetDate() i use the following statement:

select cast(floor(cast(GetDate() as float)) as datetime)

The result for this would be:

2006-04-13 00:00:00.000

And you should be able to do normal date comparison with a column that does not include time.

Hope this helps

Pieter

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply