Column Conversion Using SSIS

• Hi all,

I am relatively new to SSIS. I have constructed a package that loads data from an oracle database to an SQL Server 2008.

One of the columns i need to transfer is a date column in oracle having the following format DD/MM/YYYY

(for example 10/07/2014). When the package runs transfers the column but on the SQL server it comes with the format YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS (for example 2014-07-10 00:00:00.000).

I need to retain the format DD/MM/YYYY on the SQL Server.

I tried to use the derived column component but i didn't make it work.

Any suggestions please

• The datetime datatype only stores values in yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss.ms format. I would leave it as this and do the formatting into dd/mm/yyyy in the application or in the calling stored procedure using the convert function and specifiying a date style code like the this

SELECT

CONVERT(DATE,columnname,103)

FROM

table

If this is not an option then you will need to change the datatype to a string based type like varchar(10) to get your results in the format you require.

More date styles can be found on this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187928.aspx

• Unfortunately neither is an option. Could this be made by using the script component?

If so can please provide example code?

Thanks a lot

• no the only way to store a date in any other format than yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss.ms is to store it as a string based data type, otherwise it is convert it at the front end or in the procedures retreving the data for the applications

• OK thanks a lot for your time

• The column could be stored as a datetime and another computed column added which does the suggested CONVERT on the date to store it in the format you require. Seems ugly, because I agree 100% with Anthony, but maybe you have good reasons which we have not foreseen...

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• Thanks a lot Phil.

I shall try to work it out.

• Shouldn't be hard - post back if you can't make it work.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply