Coexistance with SQL 2005

• Hi, I heard that if you install SQL 2008 on a os that has SQL 2005 it will break SQL 2005. Is it true ? If so I won't install it on our developpement Server, we are still running SQL2k and SQL 2k5 on it.

Any info on this issue ?

Adam

• Can't initially find anything on Google, or Microsoft's Connect feedback website....

• oki thank!

Adam

• Doesn't mean that it isn't a problem though, so be very careful!

• I ran into a problem. It didn't prevent 2005 from working, but it did cause parts of the GUI in SSMS to stop working. I would be very cautious about installing it along side a 2005 instance if you still expect full functionality out of that instance.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Oh, and it happened to one other guy at my company too. He was able to get his uninstalled. Mine wasn't. I'm probably going to be rebuilding my lap top. I've got 2008 installing to a virtual as I type this.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• yeah I think I will do a bit of research on Virtual and then install it on virtual server.

• Grant Fritchey (3/12/2008)

I ran into a problem. It didn't prevent 2005 from working, but it did cause parts of the GUI in SSMS to stop working. I would be very cautious about installing it along side a 2005 instance if you still expect full functionality out of that instance.

Oh lovely....Good thing I didn't install that yet...

Time to get Virtual Server installed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• The good news is, it's working. I just finished the install and I'm looking at the February CTP, finally.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply