Clustering Setup Help Needed!!

• Hello -

I'm in the process of setting up a two node cluster on VM. One of my questions is when it comes to the point to create the cluster does the Cluster name and ip have to be a server that I can access?

Also does the SQL instance have to be a server as well. Pardon my ignorance to this. I have the picture in my head of it but the big picture is blurry.

Regards,

David

• How would you not be able to access the cluster? If you're setting it up, then you pick a non-used name for the cluster. Not an existing Windows host.

For the "server" question, I'm not sure what you mean. What are you thinking, or confused about?

• Thank you for reply - On our current sql cluster setup our admin made the Cluster name a server you can log into along with the two nodes. I was stuck on the section. 'Access Point for Administering the Cluster'. I thought that had to be a server as well for a total of 4.

One = Cluster server name (or group) Two = Node 1 Three = Node 2 and Four = SQL server?

But it looks like all I need is the two node servers and everything is kinda like vitual to the cluster. Correct?

Thanks

• SQL Server instances take the name of the windows host. That could be a real host, or the Windows cluster.

A 2 node cluster has 3 names. SQL Server responds to those.

• my 3 part guide details all. See the first part at this link[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• A BIG Thank you to everyone who responded all this information really helped us out.

Thank you again. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply