Clustering Servers

• Guys,

I have again doubst about clustering, I did mirroring for a DR proposes....but what if I have to do clustering with my servers, how can I implement this...and basicallly, which is the principal propose to decide using this instead of mirroring...if it will be a good option if I have my primary servers running in Dallas and my DR in a Data Center 4 hours from here?

Please I need suggestions.

Thanks

• how much cash do you have basically, clustering will cost more to implement and administer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Clustering in normally used to support uptime against hardware failure not DR.

What are trying to achieve? How are you mirroring your data? (local or DR san?)

• The mirroring I implemented was for DR proposes, in Dallas my primary server, and on the Data Center the mirroring at 4 hours from here.

I am asking for clustering, because I am looking for the better option to a DR implementation....what Clustering involved?

I am looking for suggestions.

• Guys,

Which are the principal differences between mirroring and cluster?....I look them both similar, , I am working with mirroring, what if I do clauster, what things really involved?..any help??

I have some application running with my database, if I do mirroring how can I make them change automatically to point the "new" database???...or do I have to manually change the settings on those applications?

please I really need some expert help..

thanks

• Junior_DBA (11/23/2008)

Which are the principal differences between mirroring and cluster?....I look them both similar...

Clustering, like mentioned earlier, is more for uptime. If one machine fails for any reason, the other picks up right were it left off.

Mirroring is more for DR. If something happens at the primary site, you can failover the mirror to your DR site.

The big difference, that I see anyway, is that clustering has shared disk, mirroring doesn't. If a drive failure should occur, you will still have issues in the clustering enviornment, but in a mirrored env. all should be ok bc. the disk is separate.

If your sole purpose is DR, than mirroring would be the way to go.

• Thanks a lot for that clarification, is more than clear now for what I should do...

Just one thing, if I have an application running with my Database, and this is in "mirror" mode, in case of failover, how can I do to make the application jumped to the new server?

Thanks in advance.

• One more thing Mirroring is related to specific Database where Cluster is happening related to SQL Instance.

Also generally Cluster server & failover cluster server should be at the same location (Preferably) if you would like to have failover cluster setup at different site in your example 4 hr drive i.e. Data Center you must need powerful network between them to make it possible.

Also in clustering virtual Instance name and virtual IP is used so Application do not find any problem in finding respective instance & db in case of failover.

Hope this will help.

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• Thank you free mascot,

I found that in mirroring I need to work with the Native CLient to make the application change immediately to the otehr database in case of failover. But do you know where I can find some samples?...just by theory this is making me confused. Any guide please?

Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply