Clustering question

• Hi,

Should you be able to connect to the active node of an active / passive cluster via the active server's IP address or just though the cluster IP? When I try to connect to the database using the IP address of the active node I get a connection error.

I know that you should never need to connect to the individual server, but we are experienceing intermittent problems with our cluster where our application cannot connect to the cluster IP and I want to check whether the active node is still accepting connections.

We are using SQL 2000 Enterprise SP3 on Windows 2003 enterprise.

Cheers

Dave

• David

The only way you can connect to an instance of SQL Server on a cluster is by using that instance's IP Address or Network Name.  If you try to connect to either of the nodes in the cluster you will fail because the SQL IP address is different from the physical addresses of the nodes.  Thus, in an active-passive cluster with one SQL Server instance installed, you will have four IP addresses: one for each node, one for the virtual cluster server, and one for the virtual SQL Server.  The last one in that list is the only one you can use for SQL Server connections.

You can ping the SQL Server IP address and this will tell you whether it is active, but of course that won't tell you whether SQL Server itself is functioning properly.

John

• Thanks John.

Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply