Checking Replication Programatically.

•  On many occasions, I have been asked to find out if a table or table(s) are being replicated to various servers.  This is a tedious task.  Is there a way, using t-sql, that I can check if a table has been published for replication and get eh name of the publication as well as the subscribers of that publication? (BTW -  I am new to the administration side of SQL Server but experienced in the programming side)

Kindest Regards,
    David

** Obstacles are those frightening things that appear when we take our eyes off the goal. **

• You can run the following and see if there is an article for a particular table, and if so, what the Publication name is (from the database in question):

select * from sysarticles

where Dest_Table =

There is also the syssubscriptions system table table - 'Contains one row for each subscription in the database. This table is stored in the publication database.' 

• So the sql: 

select * from sysarticles where Dest_Table = <table> and select * from syssubscriptions where artid=<artid from previous> will tell me if the table is published and has a subscriber. 

I assume there will one record for each subscriber for that publication or is it only one entry period?  What other tables can be used to make this information less cryptic.  IE What is the actual server subscribing to the publication.  For example, table one is being transactionally replicated as a push.  Server A and B are subscribers to this publication. I want to show <publication name> is pushing data from  <table name> to server <server name>. 

Kindest Regards,
    David

** Obstacles are those frightening things that appear when we take our eyes off the goal. **

• I created a few utilities for my own use to list what tables are being replicated, including filter data, and also to verify that the record counts on the publisher & the subscriber are the same (or close due to latency).  Let me know if you'd like some examples.

• That would be good.  I will take whatever you have to offer. 

Kindest Regards,
    David

• and if the replicated data was done with merge then have alook at

sp_validatemergepulication and sp_validatemergesubscription

or if it is transactional or snapshot:

sp_publication_validation may prove usefull

* Noel

• Here's what I run to build replication info into a table, and verify the counts between publisher & subscriber.

I use the "replication_stats" table for reference whenever I want to see what's being replicated. It's simpler than waiting for Publication properties to display one at a time.

Disclaimer:  I quickly gathered this together & "genericized" some of it, so let me know if it seems something's missing or not clear.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

--   GET REPLICATION INFO & VERIFY COUNTS BETWEEN PUBLISHER & SUBSCRIBER

-- All Tables & SPs are created in my "Utility" database, not a production DB

-- Shows statistics of replicated tables.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Replication_Stats] (

[name] [nvarchar] (128) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL ,

[publisher_db] [nvarchar] (128) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[description] [nvarchar] (255) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[filter_clause] [ntext] COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[artid] [int] NOT NULL ,

[objid] [int] NOT NULL ,

[pubid] [int] NOT NULL ,

[dest_db] [nvarchar] (128) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL ,

[publisher_server] [char] (15) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[dest_server] [char] (15) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL

) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]

GO

-------------==========================================================================================

-- Shows counts of records in replicated tables

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Replication_Counts] (

[Rep_Table] [char] (40) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[Rep_DB_Pub] [char] (20) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[Rep_DB_Pub#] [int] NULL ,

[Rep_DB_Sub] [char] (20) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[Rep_DB_Sub#] [int] NULL ,

[Rep_Count_Date] [datetime] NULL ,

[Rep_Filter_Clause] [varchar] (500) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[Rep_Pub_Server] [char] (15) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[Rep_Sub_Server] [char] (15) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Replication_Counts] ADD

CONSTRAINT [DF_Replication_Counts_Rep_Filter_Clause] DEFAULT (' ') FOR [Rep_Filter_Clause]

GO

-------------===========================================================================================

-- Shows record count discrepancy between publisher & subscriber

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[replication_mismatches] (

[Rep_Table] [char] (40) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[Rep_DB_Pub] [char] (20) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[Rep_DB_Pub#] [int] NULL ,

[Rep_DB_Sub] [char] (20) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[Rep_DB_Sub#] [int] NULL ,

[Rep_Count_Date] [datetime] NULL ,

[Rep_Filter_Clause] [varchar] (500) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[Rep_Pub_Server] [char] (15) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,

[Rep_Sub_Server] [char] (15) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

-------------============================================================================================

--         >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>       STEP 1     <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  

--Build Replication_Stats from system replication info.     (I run this, along w/ other unrelated stuff, as a DTS, which is Step 1 in my nightly job)

truncate table Utility_DB_NameHere.dbo.Replication_Stats

-- Insert PRD Replication info

insert into Utility_DB_NameHere.dbo.Replication_Stats

select art.name, publisher_db,

pub.description, filter_clause,

art.artid, objid, art.pubid ,sub.dest_db, 'PUBLISHER_SERVERNAME_HERE', 'SUBSCRIBER_SERVERNAME_HERE' 

from Publisher_DB_NameHere.dbo.sysarticles art

join "distribution"."dbo".MSarticles msart on name = article

and msart.article_id = art.artid

join Publisher_DB_NameHere.dbo.syspublications pub

on pub.pubid = art.pubid

join Publisher_DB_NameHere.dbo.syssubscriptions sub on art.artid = sub.artid and srvid = 2

order by art.name

-------------============================================================================================

--       >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>       STEP 2     <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

-- This sp gets the counts of the replicated table from the publisher ( Production) based on any filter, and gets the count from the subscriber

--and puts a record in table replication_counts.  Later, another job can run to look at the 2 counts and see if they are the same or not

-- (They should be close, depending on frequency of replication)

-- I don't truncate "replication_counts" because I thought I may want history

CREATE procedure sp_ReplicationCounts  as

-- temp table holds the select statements to be executed

create table #select_statements

(statement_id int identity(1,1) not null,

statement_text varchar(4000))

-- the INSERT to the temp table   R1

insert into #select_statements

select 'insert into UtilityDBNameHere.dbo.replication_counts select '''+ [name] + ''','''

+ publisher_db + ''',(select count(*) from '

+ publisher_db + '.dbo.' + [name] + ' with (nolock) '

+ case 

WHEN filter_clause IS not NULL THEN ' where ' + rtrim(convert(varchar(500),filter_clause)) + '), '''

ELSE '), '''

end

+ dest_db + ''',(select * from openrowset (''SQLOLEDB'',''SUBSCRIBER_SERVERNAME_HERE'';''YOUR_SQL_LOGIN'';''YOUR_LOGIN_PASSWORD'','' select count(*) from '

+ dest_db + '.dbo.' + [name] + ' with (nolock) ' + ''')), getdate(), '''''  +  ' ,''' + rtrim(publisher_server) + '''' +  ' ,''' + rtrim(dest_server) + ''''-- blank in field after getdate to be updated later w/ filter clause details

from Utility_DB_NameHere.dbo.replication_stats

where  publisher_server = 'PUBLISHER_SERVERNAME_HERE'

-- the statement execution

set nocount on

declare    @statement_text varchar(4000),

@i int,

@rows int

select @rows = count(*) from #select_statements

select @i = @rows

declare    statement_cur cursor for

select     statement_text

from       #select_statements

order by   statement_id

open       statement_cur

fetch next from statement_cur

into @statement_text

while @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

begin

exec (@statement_text)

fetch next from statement_cur

into @statement_text

set @i = (@i - 1)

end

close statement_cur

deallocate statement_cur

-- Update Replication_Counts with filter information

update Utility_DB_NameHere.dbo.replication_counts set rep_filter_clause =  rtrim(convert(varchar(500),Utility_DB_NameHere.dbo.replication_stats.filter_clause))

from Utility_DB_NameHere.dbo.replication_stats

where name = rep_table and dest_db = rep_db_sub and publisher_db = rep_db_pub

and publisher_server = 'PUBLISHER_SERVERNAME_HERE'

-- cleanup

drop table #select_statements

set nocount off

GO

--       >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>       STEP 3     <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

-- Identify discrepancies between records counts on PRD and record counts in replicated tables, taking filer clause(s) into account.

-- Drop & recreate mismatch table with new data if there are records in Replication_Counts

CREATE PROCEDURE tp_Replication_Mismatches AS

SELECT     *

FROM         Replication_Counts

WHERE     (CONVERT(char(10),Rep_Count_Date,101) = CONVERT(char(10),getDate(),101)) AND (Rep_DB_Pub#  <>  Rep_DB_Sub#) OR

(CONVERT(char(10),Rep_Count_Date,101) = CONVERT(char(10),getDate(),101)) AND (Rep_DB_Pub# <> Rep_DB_Sub#)

ORDER BY rep_db_sub, rep_table, rep_count_date

IF @@ROWCOUNT > 0

begin

drop table replication_mismatches

SELECT     *

into replication_mismatches

FROM         Replication_Counts

WHERE     (CONVERT(char(10),Rep_Count_Date,101) = CONVERT(char(10),getDate(),101)) AND (Rep_DB_Pub#  <>  Rep_DB_Sub#) OR

(CONVERT(char(10),Rep_Count_Date,101) = CONVERT(char(10),getDate(),101)) AND (Rep_DB_Pub# <> Rep_DB_Sub#)

ORDER BY rep_db_sub, rep_table, rep_count_date

end

GO

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply