CHECK Constraint for date format required

• I have a DATETIME column that I wish to have dates INSTERTED in like

MM/DD/YYYY

I know I can use

SET DATEFORMAT MDY before String dates are inserted.

I know I get SET LANGAUGE TO ENGLISH as default is MM/DD/YYYY

But what would be a good CHECK Constraint to make sure that the date inserted was MM/DD/YYYY from client ???

• Well, the field itself will simply reject any date that isn't in the correct format but if you had a stored procedure to do some bespoke error handling you could try

CREATE PROC dbo.usp_InsertDate @sDateParam VARCHAR(10) AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

IF ISDATE(@sDateParam)=0

BEGIN

RAISERROR ('You must enter the date in the correct format',10,1)

RETURN 0

END

INSERT dbo.YourTable etc

• have you tried the following.

1. create a Rule

2. then create a user defined data type(UDT) then associate the rule      previously created with the  UDT

3. create the table instead of using datetime use, your UDT instead.

hope this helps

• If it truly is a "DateTime" column, it just doesn't matter what format you store it in so long as it is one recognized by SQL.  It will have the date and, in this case, a time of 00:00:00.000.  Dates and times are NOT stored in any particular format.  Only when they are retrieved can you format them.  And, it would be a huge mistake in judgement to store dates in a character based field.

If you have a GUI that's has a field for entering these dates, the format should be checked there and not in SQL because SQL really doesn't care so long as it's a date that can be recognised.  Again, if it's a datetime field, you will have to reformat any time you return values from the field.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks, excellent posts. I have a clear understanding now !

• for reference, I like to put a check constraint for a datetime which sets a minimum value...the reason is a date of zero is a valid date (01/01/1900 00:00:00)

for example

ALTER TABLE WHATEVER ADD [ACTIONSENTDT]    DATETIME              NULL CHECK [ACTIONSENTDT]    >'01/01/1995'

...that way an error is raised if a developer sticks a zero in the column, which is assumed to be 01/01/1900 ; this has saved me a lot of times with invalid dates that would have slipped through..

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply