changing over to a tab delimited file in my pkg that walks thru folders

• hi, we just decided to change over to a tab delimited format in a handful of dw files coming our way.  the pkg was already set up to consume .csv's.   my peer decided to send the files with a .tsv extension.   i have to admit ive nebver heard of .tsv and already noticed even before going into the pkg that windows doesnt know without being told what to open the files with.

my gut from stuff i did years ago says to tell her to keep her .csv extension because windows and ssis are ok with .csv's using a delimeter different from comma.

im concerned about having to redo all the mappings etc.

does the community have a suggestion for path of least resistance when i go in to change the pkg?  and if she can keep her tsv's.

• the extension does NOT matter for SSIS - you give the filename whatever name+extension you wish.

as long as the format of the rows is what you defined everything will work as expected.

also the delimiter is whatever you defined - and this is regardless of it being a .csv or something else.

as for your windows not knowing what a TSV file is - you can tell it what it is and what default program to use.

but again there is no reason to change a existing process using .csv to something else so I would still go back to your peer and ask to revert back that change.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply