Change the backup type from disk to tape?

• Hello Team,

I used following command to create dumpdevice and created some backups. As this was device type was disk I need to change this to tape device type. i don't want to lose all those critical backups 🙁

exec sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'Testdumptest', 'F:\TestSql\Dump Device\dump.bak'

My senior DBA called me and asked me to do that but didn't tell how. He went on leave and will be back on Monday after weekend and so this is very important for me :(.

-LK

• Hi,

First you need to create a Tape device on your system. Something like below:

EXEC sp_addumpdevice 'tape', 'tapedump1', '\\.\TAPE0';

Note: If you add a tape device, the parameter must be the physical name assigned to the local tape device by Windows; for example, \\.\TAPE0 for the first tape device on the computer. The tape device must be attached to the server computer; it cannot be used remotely.

Now when you are taking backup, select the newly created device to store the file. Your old device (disk device) will also exist along with Tape device. So you are not loosing any backup data files.

• Hi,

Note: If you add a tape device, the parameter must be the physical name assigned to the local tape device by Windows; for example, \\.\TAPE0 for the first tape device on the computer. The tape device must be attached to the server computer; it cannot be used remotely.

Now when you are taking backup, select the newly created device to store the file. Your old device (disk device) will also exist along with Tape device. So you are not loosing any backup data files.

• Hi,

• Hi,

• Thanks Atul but but but...

I want to transfer all backups from my disk device to tape device... This is the issue. Can you/anyone help?

-LK

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply