Change-Data-Capture

• Any changes in my db is down through Stored Procedures (updates etc.). I don't plan on using any triggers and I only want to track changes made by the application, not by the dba or at a db level.

Will CDC be effecient for me? Or just setting up my own audit trail system would be a better solution? Is CDC actually meant to be a good replacement for setting up an audit log system?

After thorough research I found out there is no way we can tell it WHO changed the data.. and maybe WHY. Now, has anyone actually sat and down and designed sort of.. an extention to CDC?

Any Suggestions? Or any nice articles regarding audit logs would be much appreciated

Thank you.

• To track the "who" and "what" (using CDC) you should add (for example) columns to your monitored tables that provide details on who changed the record and what application for DML queries.

Obviously the nature of the table you are collecting change data for will be master data or some data that needs this level of auditing. Once your application or user changes a record, having provided the required user and application column details, CDC will add those to the change table. That way you're able to extract that information along with the changed column data.

For DDL changes you have a slight problem, because there is no way that you can "inject" any additional data.

Anyway, this is my understanding of CDC presently, I hope it helped.:-)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply