Certification High School

• I've never thought that certs were that important, but now that I'm actively on the job market again for the first time in six years, I'm very surprised by how many of the mid-level DBA positions that I see have it as a requirement. I'd say it's been at least 50%. These are positions that want at least 5 years experience as well. I'm going to start studying for the MCITP now because I think in this horrible job market, it's the only way I'm going to make sure that my resume doesn't end up in the round file.

• hi Mike,

I am looking for the guide you posted for 70-433 SQL Server 2008 certification. Could you send me the link or the guide.

Thanks.

• Hi BI/DB

The guide hasn't been posted yet - I'll let you know when it appears.

Regards,

Mike.

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/20/2009)

Many HR groups use certifications as a filter. If you don't have them, they might discard your resume.

I used to use MS certifications as a filter when I was a hiring manager (quite a long time ago). Any CV mentioning them as if they were something importasnt went straight into the round file. I wanted to know what a candidate had done, not what tests they had passed. Anyone who thought that an MCSE qualification demonstrated their fitness for a job was obviously not very bright. MS certifications are actually less useful than a bachelors degree in CS (which is already pretty useless) as an indication of ability, knowledge, or competence.

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (10/24/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (7/20/2009)

Many HR groups use certifications as a filter. If you don't have them, they might discard your resume.

I used to use MS certifications as a filter when I was a hiring manager (quite a long time ago). Any CV mentioning them as if they were something importasnt went straight into the round file. I wanted to know what a candidate had done, not what tests they had passed. Anyone who thought that an MCSE qualification demonstrated their fitness for a job was obviously not very bright. MS certifications are actually less useful than a bachelors degree in CS (which is already pretty useless) as an indication of ability, knowledge, or competence.

The current version of the MCSE just got accredited by ANSI, and MCSE is not really relevant to SQL Server because many security issues comes from not understanding both DCL(data control language) used by RDBMS and ACL(access control list) used by Windows. In some cases features in one is not related to the other.

http://www.ansi.org/news_publications/news_story.aspx?menuid=7&articleid=2332

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply