Certificate Chain Error from SSMS on Windows XP

• I suddenly started getting this error when trying to connect to any of my sql servers (25+) from SSMS on Windows XP. When I left work yesterday everything was working fine, came in this morning, and I started getting this. Tried rebooting but that obviously didn't fix it. My co-workers can all connect just fine. Searched for a solution but everything I found was regarding encryption in regards to .NET applications. Not sure how to apply that to SSMS.

For some reason the image won't work so the error is this:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.) (Microsoft SQL Server)

Mike Thien

• .NET applications generally uses SQL authentication so you may have to change your SQL Server authentication to both Windows and SQL Server. If this is Asp.net then check the Web.Config to make sure the information relating to SQL Server is valid.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I'm sorry, maybe I should have been clearer in my original post.

SSMS stands for SQL Server Management Studio. It's not a web application.

I suddenly cannot connect to 25+ sql server that I am the DBA of. The authentication mode on the servers didn't all change overnight. Also, I mentioned that my coworkers can all connect just fine (the same way I would).

Mike Thien

• Mike Thien (2/9/2010)

I'm sorry, maybe I should have been clearer in my original post.

SSMS stands for SQL Server Management Studio. It's not a web application.

I suddenly cannot connect to 25+ sql server that I am the DBA of. The authentication mode on the servers didn't all change overnight. Also, I mentioned that my coworkers can all connect just fine (the same way I would).

Funny you have to explain SSMS to a SQL Server expert, I added Asp.net because the error is SSL(secure socket layer) in your error. You have an out dated certificate so you need to resolve it.

You could try system restore to a point before the error.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Found out the answer to my problem. I inadvertently checked the Force protocol encryption check box in the SQL Server Client Network Utility while making an alias yesterday. It appears to force encryption for every connection you try to make from the client.

Mike Thien

• Mike Thien (2/9/2010)

Found out the answer to my problem. I inadvertently checked the Force protocol encryption check box in the SQL Server Client Network Utility while making an alias yesterday. It appears to force encryption for every connection you try to make from the client.

The alias definition and the properties to enable SSL are two separate steps. Good it is now resolved.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply