Causes for Error 3140?

• Hi all,

I've encountered ERROR 3140 a couple times after running my weekly maintenance jobs and I'm not able to find any causes.  No apparent problems when I check the system in the morning.  Anyone have any hints of why this happens?

Thanks,

Thuan.

Here's the exact error logged from the maitenance plan:

[2] Database MY_DATABASE: Removing unused space from the database files (if database size is more than 50 MB). Reducing free space to 10 percent of data...[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 3140: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Could not adjust the space allocation for file 'MY_DATABASE_Data'.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

• Are you running SQL Server 7.0 (prior to SP3)? If so, take a look at:

FIX: DBCC ShrinkDatabase or ShrinkFile Commands May Cause Errors 5042 and 3140 (254253)

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks for the reply... yeah, I ran into that article already.  We're running SQL2000 sp3a.

• Thuan,

Did you ever find an answer for this?  I also have 2000 SP3a and just received this message tonight when shrinking a file; first time for me seeing this.

• Hi guys, have you found the solution or possible cause to this error? I'm getting this from a SQL server 2000 and I have no space issues for sure, but the job keeps on failing.

Any tip or hint could help...

Thanks!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply