Career Engagement

• I am (b). However, I would like to move to a better office. 😀

• Ridiculous salary offers always thoughtfully considered.

Ha, ha, ha. Of course you all realize that hidden within the folds of all that green paper are the crappy things going on at the organization that is offering such an outrageous salary. Why would a company offer an out of sight salary, if there wasn't "something" wrong with the company, the management, the work environment or the work itself. Sooner or later, you might realize that money isn't everything.

I am in the (a) category. In my county position, I don't make the big bucks that some do at software startups, and I don't have the deadline or budgetary pressures of a management position. I am not an SQL guru like a number of individuals whose postings I read on SQL Central, but I have been here long enough (12 years) that I am fully familiar with the systems I am responsible for. I like the people on my team and in my department, which makes for a wonderful work environment that I don't think I could find elsewhere. I make enough - I'm staying put.

• So my entire career to this point has been "promotion by vacuum." I've done some gratifying things in the past decade or so, but I really feel like it's time to leave the tech sector behind and move on to something more meaningful.

ron

Ron,

Ouch! That promotion by vacuum can be a good thing for the company, but not always a good thing for you. I think it's decision time for you dude, and please remember, the longer you wait, the tougher it gets to leave. I stayed in one place 8 years, probably about 5 more than I should have in retrospect, but it was still the best decision I ever made, even though it was 5 years in the making. Sometimes in life, you just have to do a "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and just jump! 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• A, I really like the folks I work with, it's a very cooperative team that respects each others skill sets. There are a lot of growth and learning opportunities, I have lots of toys to play with (just never enough time).

• I think he left off C intentionally as it would be a third option that is specific for you 😉

• I am 95% option a, 5% b. We have a lot going on in our company right now and it gets stressful but I am getting to work on a lot of different tasks and getting to push myself to learn new things. So, no boredom. However, this is my second stint with the company. I worked here for 9 years and then made the jump to a different place for a number of reasons. After working for another company for 3 years, I decided to take some new found skills back to my old company and have been back here for nearly 2 years. While all is good right now, I do worry that things may get stale again once things calm down. We have 2 years of projected hard work right now but things should return back to "normal" after that. i may have to revisit this question at that point. 🙂

• I am probably at a 'b,' but I believe that if you are comfortable then is time to keep an eye out for new opportunities. I must say I did a double take on the picture of your sketch - it looked as if you were giving the finger 😀

• Hm. I'm personally sitting at a B at the moment. I'm still new to the programming field, just under a year's worth of experience at this job, with a computer science degree, so I understand my options for future employment aren't the best right now. Still, I'd definitely enjoy a job with a better pay rate; I'm making $13 an hour before taxes at this one, which is enough for me to live on, but I'd really like a higher pay rate. My parents are getting close to their retirement age, and they'll need some support, so I'd like to be able to funnel some of my earnings to them to help them out. Still, I've got another three years before that, so I'll just learn as much as I can and then start fishing for a new job, I suppose.

- 😀

• Happy where I am. Willing to entertain ridiculous salary offers or offers where the job can really enhance my skills and offer dramatically better opportunities.

• That's really nice of you, hisakimatama, to be thinking of your parents as you are.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod at work (6/1/2012)

That's really nice of you, hisakimatama, to be thinking of your parents as you are.

Eheh, I just see it as what should be expected. My parents sacrificed a good bit to get me through college, nevermind my upbringing. It's the least I could do to repay their investment, considering they've only have minimum-wage-level income for the most part over the years. I've moved beyond that level of income a bit (but hopefully I'll get to the professional level in a few years or so!), but they'll never make it that far; it's only fair that I should compensate for what it took to get me here.

- 😀

• hisakimatama (6/1/2012)

Hm. I'm personally sitting at a B at the moment. I'm still new to the programming field, just under a year's worth of experience at this job, with a computer science degree, so I understand my options for future employment aren't the best right now. Still, I'd definitely enjoy a job with a better pay rate; I'm making $13 an hour before taxes at this one, which is enough for me to live on, but I'd really like a higher pay rate. My parents are getting close to their retirement age, and they'll need some support, so I'd like to be able to funnel some of my earnings to them to help them out. Still, I've got another three years before that, so I'll just learn as much as I can and then start fishing for a new job, I suppose.

You can expect a decent living rate after 5-7 years.

That lower boundary applies in case that there is a major leap in technology - think C# in 2002 or SharePoint in 2007 - and you can demonstrate that you were seriously learning it since the first beta. Then you are in a situation that no one around has more experience than you do.

Hm. I'm personally sitting at a B at the moment. I'm still new to the programming field, just under a year's worth of experience at this job, with a computer science degree, so I understand my options for future employment aren't the best right now. Still, I'd definitely enjoy a job with a better pay rate; I'm making $13 an hour before taxes at this one, which is enough for me to live on, but I'd really like a higher pay rate. My parents are getting close to their retirement age, and they'll need some support, so I'd like to be able to funnel some of my earnings to them to help them out. Still, I've got another three years before that, so I'll just learn as much as I can and then start fishing for a new job, I suppose.

Oh my! What country are you working in?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hm, 5 to 7 years? Not too bad :-). I can suffice off of what I make now pretty well, so there's no rush at the moment. Just going to apply myself and try to learn all I can, so when I get a higher-paying job, I won't be booted out the door for being a doofus :-P.

Jeff, I'm located in the U.S., actually :-D. I'm working with a company that, to put it one way, is quite past its means. I knew I could get some experience there without there being a huge burden on me knowledge-wise (and I was more right than I predicted; I learned the full workings of the company, code-wise and actual physical functions, within about a month!), so I thought it would be a fair enough way to get some knowledge. Plus, the companies I'd been applying to before this one were not accepting of me at all; being fresh out of college, good level of knowledge or no, was just not acceptable to them.

Figured I'd take what I could get, and some of the inventory management I've been able to code in has helped the business stagger back to its feet, so I feel like I'm really accomplishing something. To me, that's what counts right now; learning more and making a difference where I work.

- 😀

Hm, 5 to 7 years? Not too bad :-). I can suffice off of what I make now pretty well, so there's no rush at the moment. Just going to apply myself and try to learn all I can, so when I get a higher-paying job, I won't be booted out the door for being a doofus :-P.

Jeff, I'm located in the U.S., actually :-D. I'm working with a company that, to put it one way, is quite past its means. I knew I could get some experience there without there being a huge burden on me knowledge-wise (and I was more right than I predicted; I learned the full workings of the company, code-wise and actual physical functions, within about a month!), so I thought it would be a fair enough way to get some knowledge. Plus, the companies I'd been applying to before this one were not accepting of me at all; being fresh out of college, good level of knowledge or no, was just not acceptable to them.

Figured I'd take what I could get, and some of the inventory management I've been able to code in has helped the business stagger back to its feet, so I feel like I'm really accomplishing something. To me, that's what counts right now; learning more and making a difference where I work.

Ah... got it. There are some things worth more than a simple salary. The experience you're getting as a person fresh out of college will serve you very well. If you decide to move on in the future, don't forget your roots nor the great favor this company has done for you. Leave them in good shape and train a replacement if you have the time. It's a very small world and there's nothing worse than leaving a company in a lurch.

Good luck. You'll do very well with the great attitude you have. My hat is off to you.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply