Capacity for Access Project

• Hi,

I am using SQL Server 2005 as the backend, and currently have a front end using Access Linked Tables.

When using only one front end file, there seems to be a limit to the number of users on that file. The file grows with each new user, and eventually corrupts.

Would using Access Project enable more users than the Linked Tables method (per front end file), and how many?

Thanks in advance

James

• I would never have more than one user per front-end, whether it be with linked tables, or as a project file. You get much better performance with each user having their own copy

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply. If I was to have more than one user per front end, would using Access Project have more capacity (and if so, how much more)?

Thanks

• As you have noted, many users per front end leads to bloat and corruption.

Don't do it.

One user per front end also leads to bloat and corruption - it's a fact of life with Access. Even with compact and repair running a reasonable front end will eventually fall over.

We've been running Access front ends since 1993, first with an Access back end and then as the system growed a SQL backend. The one fact of life with Access is corruption.

We give every user a fresh front end every day. It's the only way we;ve found to keep the system running.

• We have an Access front end to a SQL back end (adp, not linked tables) and each user has their own copy of the front end, which only gets refreshed when an update is sent out, and I can't remember the last time we had any front end corruption - there are approximately 50 users, 15 who update, the rest are view only

• Thankyou very much. I appreciate your comments.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply