Cannot start SQL Server

• Hi,

I have installed SQL Server 2000 standard version on a Win 2000 server. I have installed SP2. The SQL Server starts under a windows account 'databaseadmin'. This is included in the administrator group. The sql server was installed when I was logged in to the machine as 'databaseadmin'.

I stopped sql server and shut down the machine. Then I logged in as the domain administrator. I logged out and logged back in as 'databaseadmin'.

I tried to start sql server but got an error : Cannot start because login failed. I cannot even look at the properties for the database.

If I rebuild the registry and then try to start the server, it comes up.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to why this could be happening?

Thanks,

Vidya.

• You have the wrong password for the service. Login failed means the service tried to login and could not. Check this in Control Panel | Admin Tools | Services | MSSQLServer

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I don't understand.

I have the correct password because I logged in to the machine with the id and password the service is supposed to start with.

I installed the SQL Server when logged in as 'databaseadmin' and entered the id and password to use. I can stop and restart the server if I don't log out and log back in. But, when I log out, log back in as administrator and then log out and log back in as 'databaseadmin' I cannot start the server.

• Just curious, what happens when you change the account that starts SQL Server to the localsystem account.

Brian Knight

bknight@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

• How can I change this account ??

quote:

Just curious, what happens when you change the account that starts SQL Server to the localsystem account.

Brian Knight

• In Windows NT, go to Control Panel | Services, double click on the MSSQLServer service then select the System radio box.

Brian Knight

• I apologize. It might have been a password problem. I went in and re-entered the password for SQL Server and the agent. After that I could stop and restart.

But, just to ensure that the disruptions are not long I changed the startup to go against the local system account.

Thanks for your help.

• No worries. Keep in mind that if you use the LocalSystem account to start SQL Server, you'll need to ensure that none of your jobs need network access. There are other disadvantages to using this as well such as Replication and SQL Mail will not work properly. If that's not a problem, then run with that!

Brian Knight

• I map a drive on another machine to delete some files out there. I do this using system commands from a stored procedure.

Does using system account cause problems with this? I just checked it and it seemed to work.

Thanks for your help.

• It can, make sure the server is loggedoff and try thru a job. If you SQLServer itself is not running then when you execute by hand (not thru a job) it may be using SQLs or your own connection criteria to that server or even the logged on account.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• This process is done during the batch process. So, I have it as a SQL Task in DTS. I scheduled the DTS package and it executed fine. I hadn't logged off when the job was executing since I assumed that once it is scheduled it will not use the logged-in user's permissions.

I will try that this evening, off-hours and let you know.

Thanks again.

• It shouldn't but I always test just to be sure of the unexpected.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Hi,

The network map works and seems to be fine.

Thanks for all your help.

Vidya.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply