Cannot Reinstall SQL Server 2005

• I received an older (Windows XP Professional) DELL laptop as a "take-home" development machine. The machine previously had Visual Studio 2003 and SQL Server 2005 installed. When I got it, of course, all it had was a fresh XP install - no applications. I installed OpenOffice 3.1 - no problem. I installed VS 2005 - no problem. When I attempt to install SQL Server 2005, it hangs in the "Scanning your system configuration" step.

I could use some suggestions....

Thank you.

• I believe the SQL 2005 install installs a cut down version of VS, unistall the full blown version of VS and install SQL 2005 and then install the full blown version of VS, it worked on a box I had to troubleshoot.

Andrew

• try manually installing the SQL native client and .NET 2 framework first

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Robert Domitz (8/21/2009)

I received an older (Windows XP Professional) DELL laptop as a "take-home" development machine. The machine previously had Visual Studio 2003 and SQL Server 2005 installed. When I got it, of course, all it had was a fresh XP install - no applications. I installed OpenOffice 3.1 - no problem. I installed VS 2005 - no problem. When I attempt to install SQL Server 2005, it hangs in the "Scanning your system configuration" step.

I could use some suggestions....

Thank you.

You also need to make sure your XP is SP2 because the XP pro SP2 more than 200megs and also make sure IIS is installed and the .NET 2.0 framework as previously stated. If IIS is not installed the SQL Server 2005 installer disables SSRS because it is Asp.net dependent.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thank you, andrewkane17, SSCrazy and Perry Whittle.

Our hardware tech installed XP SP2 before handing the machine to me. Although I checked that it was installed, I know she would be really upset if she found out - she is both extremely competent and very proud!

Uninstalling VS2005 was the key. Once it was uninstalled, the SQL server installation went with only one minor hitch - report services would not configure automatically.

Now, if getting my wireless card working again was only as easy! It was canceled by the Accounting Department as a money saving measure...

Again, thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply