Cannot open user default database login failed

• Guys we have a wierd problem whenever a dsn is created we get the following error

"Cannot open user default database login failed"

We have already verified that the correct default database is set. Now here comes the strange part

we use windows groups for to grant our database access now if I create a regualr sql user everything works fine if I just add a regualr windows user everything works fine. However, if I drop a user in a windows group I get  "Cannot open user default database login failed" its like sql server can't access the windows group

• I am going to step out on a limb.  I can't think of a way to test my answer.

Check the windows groups in your SQL logins, including Domain Users (if that group is a SQL login).  Determine the default database and make sure that the login has access to the database. 

Russel Loski, MCSE Business Intelligence, Data Platform

• I had this a week ago with a windows group that contained the sysadmins. Eventually traced it down to the fact that the default database for BUILTIN\Administrators was null (no idea how that happened)

Best thing is to check all the logins on that server, make sure all the default databases are correct.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Your windows group must be a group in SQL Server also. Is it?

-SQLBill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply