Cannot install S2k - sp3

• Hi all,

I run SQL 2000 - sp2 on a windows 2000 server. When I try and install sp3, I'm never prompted for the sa password, it goes straight to install MDAC and then finishes, no version upgrade or anything. Cannot find anything on this on Microsofts website. All help will be appreciated. TIA - Terry

Terry

Terry

• You may want to redownload the SP3 install or check the @@VERSION to be sure it didn't get done without you knowing. I have not heard this at all.

• I've re-downloaded twice and tried re-installing more than a few times. The @@version doesn't change, staying at 8.00.534. I found a few things on the KB, such as stopping IIS and a few other services but no luck so far.

Terry

Terry

• Interesting. I have no idea, but I will keep my eyes peeled for anything I come across.

Oops just thought of something. I believe there was a utility patch you could install to ensure SP was patched against certain things. I don't remember the details but I recall it causing issue with the update to SP3 for some folks.

Edited by - antares686 on 05/06/2003 3:27:25 PM

• If the result of @@version is 8.00.534, still your server with SP2. If it is updated with sp3, it should be 8.00.760. If you have installed a patch, then the version should be higher. It seems you haven't got the correct service pack or it is not downloaded properly. Makesure the name of file is "sql2ksp3.exe" (compressed file) and size = 56,435kb.

mcp mcse mcsd mcdba

• DId you happen to install the "SQL Critical Update" utility (more info at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814372). This is the tool I recall folks saying was causing issues just like you are reporting.

More specifically it was running Servpriv.exe , if I recall correctly, seemed to be at the root of the issue.

Edited by - antares686 on 05/07/2003 04:43:27 AM

• Ahhhh..I thought about this all night and came to the same conclusion Antares. We did apply a hotfix on the server a couple of months ago. Once I removed it, boom...success! Thanks to all for their comments (and I guess your affirmation that I was on the right path).

Terry

Terry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply