Cannot Edit query in SSMS (query editor)

• Hello,

I have SQL Server 2005 Sp2, it was working fine but all of the sudden I see this problem in SSMS, I searched it online but I guess I am the only one who faced this issue, or this might be so simple to figure out what the solution for this is.

Problem: In SSMS, when I click New Query I write something in that window and suddenly my keyboard doesnot work in that window anymore. my mouse works perfectly fine.

like today I was writing select * from tableA, and then I tried executing it, I could not select the query with keyboard, I used my mouse, and I then selected the query and pressed F5, it did not executed untill I press excute button with mouse.

When I click New query, it works well for a moment, the moment I press backspace, I cannot edit the query.

I remember I was using DTS package all the time I faced this problem, I am seeing this problem since last few weeks,

Any idea ??

Thanks,

Imran.

• Legacy DTS does cause some odd behaviour when it's open. I've experienced problems similar to yours, but they clear up when I close DTS.

• I don't intend for this to sound offensive, but when's the last time you turned your keyboard upside down and shook it? Is it possible that debris is the culprit, rather than a SQL Server anomaly? Ruling out the debris has got to be easier than drilling down through all the possibles in SQL Server!

Aside from a possible servo-mechanical failure, do you experience any other keyboard anomalies while the query window is 'misbehaving'? Can you use your keyboard on all the other aspects of SSMS? Are you in full screen or a 'sized' window mode? I wonder if, as you try to use the keyboard to transition into the command menu, you are in some way leaving the window and not coming back, OR hitting a control where the 'tab' to the next/previous control is broken? I've seen that in various GUI - I can tab into a control, but cannot tab out of it. Sometimes I could see a reason why, most times I suspect careless programming.

It's a thought. Sometimes you have to take the time to rule out the obvious, even when you 'know' you did already - speaking from personal experience.

• Thanks homebrew ,

I guessed its because of DTS packages... Its really wierd though, it means when ever you are working on DTS packages you cannot use SSMS query window ???? How did you solve this issue ?

Thanks,

Thanks Steve,

My Key board works absolutely fine, I am not the only one who is facing this problem, my colleagues who work on DTS packages (SQL Server 2005) and try to work on SSMS Query window, they face the same problem, I think its more about SSMS. But what you said could also be true, but in my case key board works perfectly fine...

Thanks,

• sayfrend (8/22/2008)

Thanks homebrew ,

I guessed its because of DTS packages... Its really wierd though, it means when ever you are working on DTS packages you cannot use SSMS query window ???? How did you solve this issue ?

Yes, this is working as intended. When you are working on a DTS package in SSMS, you loose control of SSMS until the DTS window is closed. This is the same behavior as Enterprise Manager as it consumed the whole window.

Only resolution would be to run two instances of SSMS.

• Adam Bean (8/22/2008)

sayfrend (8/22/2008)

Thanks homebrew ,

I solved it by doing what I need in DTS, then closing it. Then I'd go back to SSMS.

(I didn't use DTS much in SQL 2005).

• This is what I do now, I open two instances, one I use for Dts and other I use for query.

Thanks,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply