Can SSMS 2005 Connect to MS SQL Server 2008

• Hi,

As listed at title, can SSMS 2005 connect to MS SQL Server 2008?

Thanks.

• Nope, need to upgrade SSMS in order to be able to connect to SS08.

• If I didn't upgrade SSMS 2005, what error would I get when try connect to SQL Server 2008?

Btw, for SQL Server 2008, I already Enable TCP/IP and Named Pipes at SQL Server Configuration Manager > SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for MSSQLSERVER.

But I still get error message:

Cannot connect to SERVER1

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connection to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

• It says that you can't connect to the version of SQL Server with your management studio and you need a newer version.

To test if you have connectivity from your workstation, open up a command prompt (cmd) and type in:

Telnet [servername] 1433

^That should return a completely black screen if it connects successfully. If not, it will just sit there flashing and eventually time out. It also assumes that you're using the default SQL Server port.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply