Can I use DTS Designer with Management Studio Express?

• I have a number of DTS packages written in SQL2K that I saved to our new SQL2005 64-bit server. However, I've not been able to view or edit them. I installed the SQLServer2005_DTS.msi package, but it doesn't show up in my Management Studio Express anywhere. Is that because I need to use standard? I don't have any System Admin rights on the server - could that be a problem? (Although I don't on our SQL2K development box either, but can create, modify & save DTS packs).

ANd before someone suggests it, yes. I'm planning on moving everything to SSIS once our System ADmin gives me rights.

Thanks for any suggestions!

(very much a newbie with SQL2005)

• hi,

in Express managment you cann't edit DTS packages

the easyst way to do it (as far as i know )

is to install the Managment studio and the Visual Studio for SS 2005

open a new SSIS package and select there to execure DTS package

and run this package

HTH

yaron .

• Does VS2008 include the ability to edit DTS packages on a SQL2005

• DTS support was not ported across to SQL Server 64-bit version.

It is supported as legacy by 32-bit SQL Server 2005.

64-bit SQL server 2005 does not support DTS. You will need to convert them into SSIS packages first.

• Our SA has managed to use DTS with the 2000 Designer tool on our 64-bit SQL Server 2005 box - don't know how, although he told me "Left the DTS as is, used the Enterprise Manager in 2000".

• Paul,

I'm not sure from the posts here, but it looks as though you installed the downloadable DTS designer, but just don't see it in the SSMS.

It's slightly hidden. Start SQL Server Management Studio. Expand your server in the object explorer. Expand the Management folder. Expand the Legacy folder. Voila. From there, either right click "Data Transformation Services" to open or import a package as when in a *.dts file, or open the folder to see DTS packages stored in that database.

I've never seen anything about this not working with SQLExpress. BTW, why SQLExpress in a corporate environment? Developer edition costs barely more than free and gives you everything in Enterprise edition, just with different licensing that excludes production use.

• Problem is, I don't see a Legacy folder.

As regards Express vs. Standard, I agree. Not sure why we don't have. I've asked, but still no reply.

The frustrations of working in a large corporate structure

• If you uninstall SQL Express 2005, you can install SQL Server 2000 client tools, and then reinstall SQL Express 2005. After the SQL Express reinstallation, you will still have access to the Import and Export Data Wizard (from SQL Server 2000) to create new DTS jobs, and access to the DTS 2000 Package Designer from within Management Studio to modify existing DTS jobs.

• I un-installed SQLServer Management Studio Express, re-installed SQL2K client tools, then installed Management STudio Express. BUt still don't see any legacy app. for DTS designer.

What am I doing wrong?

• When connected to the Express server, you should see an item titled "Management" (underneath Databases, Security, etc.). Expand Management to see SQL Server Logs, Activity Monitor, and an item called "Legacy". Expand Legacy, and you should see an item for Data Transformation Services.

If this item is not present, you may want to go to Start >> All Programs >> Microsoft SQL Server (not 2005), and select Import and Export Data. This will start the DTS wizard. Create a package here and save it to the database, then refresh the Object Explorer pane in Management Studio. The Data Transformation Services item should now be present, and the package you created and saved should appear underneath when it is expanded.

If it still doesn't appear, you might want to repeat the uninstall of all SQL Express 2005 functionality (including Management Studio) and verify it is completely uninstalled before installing the SQL 2000 client tools. Verify the 2000 client tools are present (including DTS) before reinstalling SQL Express 2005 and Management Studio.

Hope this helps!

• Ok, I've tried it 2x now. No success. I removed all versions of SQLServer, the folders that were left behind for SLQ2K, reinstalled SQL2K, reinstalled SQLserver 2005 Express, then reinstalled SQLServer 2005 Management Express Studio. Still no Legacy folder showing under Management in SSMSE console.

Another sidenote: if I try & install the BI tool when SQL2K is there, it messes up SQL2K - an entry in SEMSFC.dll prevents it from opening.

What a frustrating experience!

I assume some of you out there have successfully installed the Express version of SQLServer 2005 & Management Studio, and see the old DTS Designer packages?

• I got it to work by removing the Express versions and installing the eval. version. Now I can see the Legacy DTS app - and everything still works on SQL Server 2000 OK.

I'm hoping by the time the evaluation runs out, we'll have enough licenses in my team for everyone 🙂

• Paul,

paul.arnott noted earlier that you may want to investigate SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition. I would second that recommendation, it sounds like your problem may have been a functionality limit in the Express version of SSMS.

I bought a copy of Developer Edition from Provantage for about $40 and it has all of the functionality of Enterprise Edition. This license will allow an individual to access any SQL 2K5 Dev Edition instance in your organization.

Ken

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply