Can a database be prioritized?

• If there are several databases on a sql server, can one be prioritized in terms of memory usage (or any other way)? I have a test database on the same machine as a live one, both are several GB's large - I think this setup is leaving less memory for the live database to use. Can anyone help? Or is it just a bad idea to have the 2 db's on the same machine?

• Hey,

Not sure about prioritizing which DB has access to varying levels of memory. I believe you just set the memory up for SQL Server as a whole at SQL Server dynamically uses memory as and when it is needed for each task it is currently processing. But I could be wrong..?

As for having a test and live DB on one server, personally, given the choice and of course the resources (hardware & finance!!) I'd seperate them and have a live server and development server. Also a Test server between Dev & Prod, again depending on available resources.

It all really boils down to how much activity there is on both DB's.

Hope all that makes sense..!

Clive

Clive Strong

clivestrong@btinternet.com

• It is a bad idea to have the test and dev DB on the same box. SQL prioritizes the memory of objects based on usage which you canot change.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply