Calling all SQL Gurus

• I often find myself assisting my company's product support department in troubleshooting SQL database problems with our software. Sometimes the problems are straightforward (table/index fragmentation, time-consuming jobs running that is slowing down performance, out-of-control transaction log growth, etc), and sometimes the problems are really complicated to solve.

I find myself incorporating tools like SQL profiler, netstat, analyzing the database for significant changes, but sometimes, I simply cannot explain why SQL server is behaving the way it is.

Today, I had an issue where SQL server was utilizing a high amount of CPU that could not be explained by the queries that were running and the connections that were being made to it. I suspect there was some kind of environmental factor that was touching the SQL server (perhaps an external server backing up the database, or something like that).

After thinking about it, I found that I didn't really have a great way of proving my theory.

My question is: Does anyone have any tools that are handy in explaining the unexplainable?

• There are 2 parts affecting the performance of a database server. Jobs running directly against database server and jobs running on its operating system platform.

You can use the profiler, stored procedures, or some third-party tools to detect the jobs directly running against a database.

You can use PerfMon, task manager, to detect the jobs running on its OS or even database server.

You can use SQL event logs or the logs from Event Viewer to analyze the performance.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply